2.7 Course Moved to 2.8 - Natural with Weights not working

2.7 Course Moved to 2.8 - Natural with Weights not working

by Mary Beth McKee -
Number of replies: 1

We recently upgraded from 2.7 to 2.8.  Specifically we are using Moodle 2.8.5+ (Build: 20150501).

Before our migration to the new version, I tested the Natural Weighting aggregation and found it met a variety of needs.  Recently though, I had a faculty member who had an existing gradebook (created in earlier Moodle version) utilizing Weighted Mean of Grades, and when I switched it to Natural, checked the weight boxes, and entered the percentage weights, the weights and overall course total defaulted to zero.  I did see the standard error message, 'Your weights have been adjusted to total 100.'

Strangely, if I switched the overall course back to Weighted Mean, it would remember the original weights and work fine.  The percentages used for weighted mean were identical to the weights used in natural.

Are others experiencing this issue with previously created gradebooks?  I find new sites with a fresh gradebook work fine with natural.  Any suggestions of things to try?  I can offer additional details about the gradebook, if it is helpful.  If Natural meets all gradebook needs, I would like to steer faculty there.

Thanks,

Mary Beth

In reply to Mary Beth McKee

Re: 2.7 Course Moved to 2.8 - Natural with Weights not working

by Mary Beth McKee -

I was able to determine the issue with this problem course.  In 2.7 the gradebook was setup as Weighted Mean.  In 2.8, when the aggregation was switched from Weighted Mean to Natural, it automatically marked all the categories as Extra Credit, resulting in a zero max grade for the overall course.  The issue was probably unique to a course migration.