Quiz submission not recorded in gradebook

Quiz submission not recorded in gradebook

by Yogesh Nahar -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I have a very strange issue that I've never faced before. 

I am setting up a Moodle site with v2.8.5 (Build 20150310) on a shared hosting platform (bluehost).
MySQL 5.5.42.37.1
PHP 5.4.40

Teacher Setup: I have created a test quiz with just one question and is marked out of a total of 10 points. Only 1 attempt allowed. 

Student attempt: Is able to attempt the quiz and gets a grade of 10/10 on his 1st attempt. This is shown as a confirmation on the quiz page. 

Issues:

Student: Unable to view the grade (10/10) for the quiz in the gradebook. Doesn't show up at all. 

Teacher: Unable to view the student attempt/submission in the quiz results page. It shows '0' attempts. 

I am stumped here. Have been through this setup multiple times with the same issue. Not able to find any solution in the forums either. Anybody who can advice on how to troubleshoot, I'd really appreciate it. Screenshots attached. 

Thank you. 

Yogesh

Attachment Completed Quiz.png
Attachment quiz submissions.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yogesh Nahar

Re: Quiz submission not recorded in gradebook

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Did you use a real student account? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Yogesh Nahar -

Hi Mary,

Yes. I am using separate teacher role and student role accounts. 

In reply to Yogesh Nahar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do both your accounts have the same name because the screenshots both show test?  Does the student show in the grader report?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Yogesh Nahar -
Yes. One is a test teacher and the other test student. Completely separate accounts. The test student does show in the grader report. But his quiz attempt still shows no grade even in the grader report. 

Yogesh

In reply to Yogesh Nahar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok then I would guess that somehow the student role has lost its is gradeable status.  Go to grades/general settings and make sure that student is checked under the gradeable roles list.

by Yogesh Nahar -

But I have another online submission assignment setup. I tested it and the grade assigned to the student by the teacher shows up fine in the grade book. This seems to work fine.

I checked the graded roles and the student role is selected. 

Any other thoughts? I am totally lost now. Do you think upgrading to v2.9 would have any affect? 

Thanks. 

In reply to Yogesh Nahar

by Emma Richardson -

Ok, so I looked at your screenshots again.  The first shows menus that a student would not have - basically they have the preview permission and quiz administration menu.  If they can preview the test, they are not in the basic student role.  Having the preview role will stop the grade from being recorded.  Reset your student role to default and it should work.

by Yogesh Nahar -

Oh thank you for pointing that out. I had changed the role permissions for authenticated user so a few visitors can access a quiz (preview) without logging in.

Everything is working fine now. 

Thank you for your help on this. As usual the great Moodle community to the rescue. Two thumbs up!

Yogesh