Clean theme for 2.6 with breadcrumb below the logo

Clean theme for 2.6 with breadcrumb below the logo

by Ravi Murugesan -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I'm the admin for a Moodle 2.6 site. The Clean theme suits my needs but it's annoying to see the breadcrumb above the logo, instead of below the logo where one would expect.

I don't have time to create a new theme based on the Clean theme with all the associated renaming work (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Clean_theme), just to fix this tiny issue of the breadcrumb location.

I came across a fix for this (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=230919#p1102366), but I couldn't implement it directly on my Moodle site because I don't have access to the Moodle code and somehow it takes a lot of time to get even something simple done with my company's IT vendor. So what I did was this:

1. Downloaded the local installer for Moodle 2.6
2. Edited the PHP layout files in the Clean theme as per the suggestions given in the above forum post
3. Zipped the Clean theme folder
4. Uninstalled the existing Clean theme from my Moodle site  (Site administration -> Plugins -> Plugins overview)
5. Uploaded the zip file containing the Clean theme with the layout modifications (Site administration -> Plugins -> Install add-ons)

And whew! I have a perfect Clean theme now. I've attached the zip file in case anyone else with the Clean theme on 2.6 wants to use it.

(Edited by Mary Evans - Removed ZIP file original submission Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 3:32 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravi Murugesan

Re: Clean theme for 2.6 with breadcrumb below the logo

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ravi - and anyone else reading this:

Please remember it is not advised to actually change core code such as Clean itself - this is because a) other themes may use it as a parent and b) it will get overwritten every time you upgrade your moodle site.

The better solution is to either clone (copy and rename) the theme, or create a child theme with any changes you need to make. Only change core code in this way if you are fully aware of the potential future consequences and accept them.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I am not sure which version of 2.6 you are using, but it must be an older one as I did the fix for this in the Moodle Tracker a long while ago.

For your information Clean theme is shipped with the Logo ABOVE the breadcrumb and has been like that for quite a while. I suggest you move to Moodle 2.8  or 2.9 as Moodle 2.6 and 2.7 are now depreciated versions.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Oh and by the way I have deleted the zip file you uploaded for various reasons, the main one being because the Clean theme is Moodle's default theme and so therefore cannot be deleted from the system. So anyone trying to do that would run the risk of messing up their Moodle site.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Richard and Mary - Sorry my post was inappropriate. I could indeed uninstall the Clean theme - was a bit surprised I could do that. And when I uploaded the Clean theme with the modified breadcrumb element it passed the validation check. I did all this from the front end. Things seem to be working fine.