Messaging: Messages to groups?

Messaging: Messages to groups?

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 18
I love the messaging system, but i'm surprised there's no ability to send to large groups of people.

If it is possible, and i'm being blind/stupid/innocent, please let me know!

Thanks - DJ
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Messaging: Messages to groups?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Why not use forums?
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Darren Smith -
Or the quickmail block.

I think I am correct in saying that these both send e-mails to students / groups and not moodle messages.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Dan Jeffries -
i didn't know about this block! haven't see it in the list - where do i get it?

cheers! DJ
In reply to Darren Smith

by Abel Lorenzo -
Where can we see that quickmail block??? Does it comes with any special version???
Is it available for teachers and admins???
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Dan Jeffries -
we have an external forum, but at times we may want to contact students about a specific subject that we wouldn't want others too see.

thanks tho smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Rico Dredd -

Yes I would also like to mass message rather than mass email as it reduces the time involved. Sending an email requires the recipient to open their mail client to look for new emails whereas a new message is flagged on the message block in Moodle.

Any ideas of combining / adding the Quickmail select course users option with the message system?

Rico

In reply to Rico Dredd

by mark gunkel -
We are having this same problem: instructors want to message ALL the students in the course with the same message. It seems like this would be an obvious feature. Are we missing something?
In reply to mark gunkel

by Andreu Martí -
Use Course News Forum and be sure the parameter "Force everyone to be subscribed" is on. All students will recive an e-mail. This is the way we communicate with them and it works as they read mails more reagular as access to Moodle.

All the best!
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Basil Gohar -
We've actually implemented this feature in two ways:
  1. Teachers can message all students in a particular course
  2. Teachers can also message all students in a particular group, within a particular course
I would post a screenshot, but since it would probably have peoples' names, I don't think I would be permitted, but essentially, the first thing a teacher sees is a listing of each course they are teaching, and then under each course name, a listing of each group. They click on whichever they want to send to, and then they write the message like normal.

I don't know how to effectively contribute this feature back, though, since I've never done a patch in my life, and we have extended the messaging feature (which really is rather basic and not intended for all of this) quite a lot, so it might even break some peoples' extensions.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
In reply to Basil Gohar

by Rob Barreca -
Basil,

Can you send over a zip of your message folder and any other files that you modified for your message modification? I was about to start working on this and saw this post.

I also wanted to code something to organize messaging contacts into teachers, students (by course and group), and parents (I have a parents mod installed).

I could post a patch or to my cvs.schoolengine.com account with my other mods once you send me some files to work off of.

Thanks!
In reply to Rob Barreca

by Rick Barnes -

This looks excellent, Much easier than having all the pupils checking their mail during lessons, or looking in a forum, especialy as some of my pupils do not have e-mail or have verry low skils within e-mail.

One extra I would like here would be the ability to attach a file so that I have a quick and easy way to get a help file to specific pupils without making it part of the course for all to see. I know that I wil be able to use activity locking to plan these events for many pupils but sometimes they still suprise you.

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by kathy hooper -
we also would really like this function. Email and forums require the student to actually open them whereas messages are unavoidable. In our school we have a very large number of clubs and sports teams that we would like to use this system with - often there are changes of practice times and venues and currently our school notices system is not at all effective. Also today, one of our site admins asked if there was a global function that admins could use from time to time .
kathy
In reply to kathy hooper

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kathy,

You'll be pleased to hear that in Moodle 1.6, admins and teachers will be able to select multiple users to compose and send an instant message to. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Simon Bryan -
Did this not make it into 1.6 as I can't see hwo to do it?
We would love to be able to send an IM to all users, either at the time or when they next login.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by Sam Wynens -

If you go into a course, click on the groups link in the admin block and move students in the student group. Now when an admin or teacher clicks on the participants list and select the student group, you'll be able to select a number of students and send IMs to them.

Sam

In reply to Sam Wynens

by Daniel Stanley -

You need to allow 'Separate Groups' in the groups section of the course settings first, then you will see the groups as a dropdown in the Participants page.  From there select all and you can then message them all at once.