Comparisons and advocacy

Moodle or Totara

Picture of zizo zizo
Moodle or Totara

Dear All,

We intend to implement new system for e training in our company with large number of user and we have Talent management system(oracle) for manage the training process and we need system for delivery our content that will integrate with Oracle system . We need experts suggestions for choosing between totara and moodle  for this situation .

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC
Re: Moodle or Totara
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Zizo,

Totara starts with Moodle core code and adds a layer of additional features that are more suited to business needs.  For example, 

• Totara has better reporting features than Moodle has.  
  • Totara can be configured to reflect your organization's management and reporting structure.
  • Totara can organize learning plans (sets of courses) for employee groups.
  • Totara has better database interfacing options than Moodle has.

To do a complete analysis of your situation, I would need more detail.  But, in general, for corporate training needs, Totara has more features and options than does Moodle.

Floyd

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove advertising as per the site policy - original submission Sunday, 17 May 2015, 3:15 PM)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

One of the possible limitations of Totara is that third party plugins are generally not tested with it. Because it is based on Moodle core code, there is a very good chance that such plugins will work with it, but no certainty. That is not a reason to discount using it, just something to be aware of. I'm not sure what Zizo means by database interfacing options.

Picture of Ravi Murugesan

Zizo, I suppose your company uses this:  http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/ebusiness/human-capital-management/talent-management/overview/hcm-suite-talent-mange-overview-1451682.html

I think you'll need to talk to your contacts at Oracle to find out whether Moodle or Totara can be integrated with it.

If your company uses an Oracle database, see this: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Oracle