Moving courses between test and production

Moving courses between test and production

by Garry Swanson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everyone

Before I get too deep in writing a class, I need to know if this is possible:

Like everyone (I hope) I have a test environment and an Internal production environment.

Im writing a course in the Test environment. It's a large class, and because of that I need to make the sections of the course that are complete active before I finish writing the entire class.

Since I'm VERY new to Moodle I was wondering how I would take the new course elements from the test environment and add it to the production environment without losing current test results, grades etc.

After the course has passed Internal review then I would take the completed course and put it on our main server for release to the world.

Is this possible, or should I just take the production environment and work on there? Ideally I'd like to keep the two separate so I have virgin data for the course, which will be updated periodically.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garry Swanson

Re: Moving courses between test and production

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Garry,

There is a thread here which might help:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313527

Obviously, you should work in the way that suits you best, and in which you feel most comfortable, but I use the testing environment for testing Moodle upgrades and new plugins.  I keep new and incomplete materials in a hidden course on the production site.

Good luck on your voyage with the good ship Moodle!  smile

Andy