Upgrading 2.5 to 2.9

Upgrading 2.5 to 2.9

by kishore K -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Jhon taylor,

I am new to moodle and now i am using moodle 2.5 version.So i want to move to 2.9 from 2.5 .

And i  want previous data as well,can you please help me .How many ways we can upgrade moodle ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to kishore K

Re: How long does it take to upgrade the database?

by Just H -
In reply to Just H

Re: How long does it take to upgrade the database?

by kishore K -
Hi thanks Just but when I am going to install this I got the error in installation process (DDL error).installation done before i got this error message.Could I know why this error is coming and I had given current paths and web root and every thing. But till  I am facing the same issue while installation period.
Attachment Error 1.png
In reply to kishore K

Re: Upgrading 2.5 to 2.9

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

...and please don't dig up ancient threads. Please start a new one with a relevant subject title. 

Also, please don't ask the same question more than once. Your other threads will be (and have been) deleted. 

In reply to kishore K

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I would recommend holding to 2.5 at the moment, as its not even a week passed since release of 2.9 and everyone is thinking of upgrading, not until 2.9.x version is released, dont even think about upgrading as there will be bug fixes in coming weeks, and you dont want to upgrade now and face so many issues that it will become hard for you to get back.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Bug fixes for general core bugs in 2.5.x ended May 2014 (12 months).
Bug fixes for serious security issues in 2.5.x ended 10 November 2014 (18 months).
(See https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases)

You need to upgrade!

The question is to which version. You have the choice amoung 2.7 (Long Term Support), 2.8 or 2.9.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi visvanath,

If suppose I want to upgrade to 2.9 (because of latest version) .Is it possible to upgrade directly from 2.5 to 2.9 or otherwise before we need to update with 2.6.I have  a confusion with this and is there any problem with moodle 2,9 after installation.Please let me know.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Usman,

Before going to 2.8 version I am using 2.5 now, can I directly upgrade with 2.8..?.In 2.5 is there any conditions to install one after one version..(means 2.5 to 2.6 and later 2.6 to 2.7 like this).

In reply to kishore kommireddy

by Usman Asar -

Kishore, minimum requirement for upgrading to Moodle 2.9 is Moodle 2.2 (even for upgrading to Moodle 3.0), so you are good to go directly to Moodle 2.9.

But, before upgrade, make list of your installed plug-ins, and see if they need updating to accommodate Moodle 2.9, or if any plug-in is not yet compatible with Moodle 2.9, in that case you have to delete the plug-in, as incompatible plug-ins do bring loads of issues during or after upgrade.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Thanks once again for quick turn around Usman. Before I am going to do this I am facing one issue in upgrading when I am going to upgrade 2.5 to 2.9 I got the error called " DDL sql execution error " OR  " Blank page of Login page ".May I know why it is coming and before I checked config.php file also.

In reply to kishore kommireddy

by Usman Asar -

Kishore, have you managed to copy over the config.php file to new moodle folder (that will be moodle 2.9 files)?

As it could be multitude of different issues showing this error, You may find discussion about similar errors here, and see which solution works for you

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=214752

also you may want to check this

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25414