Assignment available for group discussion?

Assignment available for group discussion?

by Magnus Larsson -
Number of replies: 4
Hi!

This might be something I just missed, but:

I would need individual students to upload an assignment (a paper) that immediately becomes available for other students to read and discuss. Is this possible with the standard assignment module in 1.5 (though I haven't found out how), or is it possible through some add-on module? I have tried some "new assignment" mods, and a review-assignment, but they do not seem to provide this feature as far as I can see.

Or is this better done in another way, without the assignment modules at all?

Any suggestions?

Magnus Larsson
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Magnus Larsson

Re: Assignment available for group discussion?

by Darren Smith -
As you have tried both 3rd party alternatives already would it solve your problem if you created a forum and the students made a post and included their paper as an attachment? You could also then use the rating system.

HTH

Darren

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you tried "Workshop"?   That's what it's for.

by Magnus Larsson -
Hi!

Thanks for your suggestions! I think the forum way would work.

I'm looking at the workshop module, but it seems a bit messy, and if I get it right, there is no way for a continuing discussion there...or?

But I also try to work out another solution: would it be possible to make the folder where assignments are placed, available as a resource? Problem is that I can't figure out where assignment files are placed - anyone know about this?

Magnus

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Magnus,

If you try uploading a sample assignment, then follow the Files link in your course administration block, you'll find your sample in a numbered folder in Files >> moddata >> assignment.

However, I doubt you'll be able to make the moddata folder (or any folder within it) available as a resource, since it is generally accepted that students should not be able to access other students' uploaded assignments.

I agree with Darren that a forum would be the best solution for a continuing discussion.