How can students see in Course overview ‘You have dataform activities that need attention’

How can students see in Course overview ‘You have dataform activities that need attention’

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 7

Hi Itamar,

Is it possible to add a Dataform activity to the Course overview in ‘My home’ > ‘My courses’ so that students know that they have to do something? If there is an assignment due, students see in the Course overview:

You have assignments that need attention.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: How can students see in Course overview ‘You have dataform activities that need attention’

by Itamar Tzadok -

There could be many different criteria depending on application. What do you have in mind? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: How can students see in Course overview ‘You have dataform activities that need attention’

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Itamar,

I just set up Test 301 with an assignment activity and a dataform activity. The main course page looks like this:

main class page

Dates for availability and and due dates are set in both activities. (see attached PDF file with edit settings of dataform activity). When a student logs in, he/she sees this in My home > My courses:

Course overview

The assignment is mentioned in the course overview, but the dataform activity is not. Is there any way to add the dataform activity to the course overview?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Itamar Tzadok -

What's the criterion for displaying the Dataform activity as something that requires attention? When does it stop to require attention? smile

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Itamar,

The criterion for the Dataform activity should be the due date (if set). So if a due date is set, it would be helpful for students to see the Dataform activity in 'Course overview' as an activity similar to an assignment until the due date. If the date 'Available from' is set, the Dataform activity should appear from that time until the due date. Do you think this is possible?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Itamar Tzadok -

A possible problem with such a criterion is that a participant may complete the requirement may before it is due and will continue to see the attention note even though it should no longer display for that participant. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

IMO an attention note should be tied to completion. That is, if the activity does not track completion no special attention is needed. If it does, the note should be displayed in the overview until the student completes the activity and then disappear, even before the due date. The nice thing about that is that you can use manual completion to delegate responsibility for tracking progress to students. smile

by Hartmut Scherer -

I like your idea to tie the notification of a Dataform activity in Course overview with the completion setting of the activity. This will help students to see which activities still need their attention. 

If students do not turn in anything, the notification should be tied to the due date. So the notification in Course overview probably needs to be tied to two events, one if students finish the Dataform activity before the due date. Then, the notification would no longer appear in Course overview. In case students don't complete the Dataform activity before the due date, the notification in Course overview will end with the due date. Can you implement such a feature with a dependency on two events in Dataform?