Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

by Becky Borello -
Number of replies: 23

Hello,

Every time I try to add a video via the YouTube repository I get this error video:

httpsyoutube.comdevicesupport.avi

It seems like the app needs updating, but that is beyond my capabilities.  I know several ways to work around this issue, but it would be best if this could be fixed.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Becky

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Becky Borello

Re: Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Attempting to access

directly gets passed to:

https://youtube.com/devicesupport

which states "YouTube is upgrading to a newer version, which is not supported by this device or app.
To learn more and see where can watch YouTube, visit
then it gives the second URL:
https://youtube.com/devicesupport

Following the link above begets:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?p=yt_devicesupport&hl=en&rd=1

From the above page:

"As we upgrade the YouTube Data API to bring more features, we’ll begin shutting down the old version on April 20, 2015. This will result in the current YouTube app not working on certain device models from 2012 and older."

How can I continue using YouTube on affected devices?
Has selections for devices ... like iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad

So it looks like the API needs to be re-visited.   Tracker Item?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I just added this - thanks for the Heads up - MDL-50176

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Becky Borello -

Thanks, Mary!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by William Lu -
My Moodle sites are having the same problem, can't use YouTube Anywhere from last week.

Voted, thanks to Mary.

In reply to Ken Task

by Cori Murphy -

Same problem for us ... a big priority. Thanks - shall vote for this

In reply to Ken Task

by Adam Olley -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

I've just posted an update for the youtube repository in https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-50176 .

I've tested searching/paging and such, and it works nicely for me. You will need a google data API developer key unfortunately to search youtube now. Once you have a key (see: https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/getting-started) you can put the key into the settings for the youtube repo in Moodle, and be able to use it again.

In reply to Adam Olley

by William Lu -
Hi Adam, 

I followed your instruction and regenerated all APIs/Auth/Secret in the YouTube developer page and copy/paste all of them back to my Moodle > YouTube Anywhere setting. 

But, I can't find any field for the APIs/Auth/Secret/ settings in Moodle Repo > Youtube in my Moodle2.6 nor Moodle2.9 

Home / ▶Site administration / ▶Plugins / ▶Repositories / ▶Youtube videos 

YouTube repository type configuration

Repository plugin name
If you leave this empty the default name will be used.

-------------------------------------

I tested to insert a Youtube video from file Picker > Youtube video and also tested the YouTubeAnyWhere, non is working any more, only shows the /devicesupport sad face.

Need help.

Thanks

In reply to William Lu

by Adam Olley -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi William,

Did you apply the patch I supplied in the tracker item? The patch is what lets you use the api key.

In reply to Adam Olley

by William Lu -

Hi Adam,

Sorry I didn't. 

Just checked your guide carefully, and noticed your note:

Note for anyone wanting to implement this on Moodle 2.7 (or earlier). The version of the Google API bundled with M2.7 and earlier is to old to use the YouTube Data API.

My production Moodle site is still in Moodle2.6, sadly, I can't use your patch.

Wish you can make one for older Moodle as well.

Thanks

In reply to William Lu

回應: Re: Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

by Shwu-Fen Kuo -

Hi William,

I use moodle 2.6, too.

I have modified source code based on 2.8 patch and manual copy lib/google/Google directory to 2.6 source tree, it's work.

But I'm afraid of this changed will cause another problem, because it need to change Google APIs Client Library (lib/google/curlio.php, lib/google/Google and lib/google/lib.php) .

So, I also need the patch for v2.6.

Thanks.

In reply to William Lu

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi William and others,

If you can install add-ons, are stuck on Moodle 2.6, and really need to show YouTube videos, you can do it with the Generico filter instead of the YourTube Repository. For ease of use, anyone on Moodle 2.7 or higher will also want to add the Atto: Generico button. (Sadly, the button files will install in Moodle 2.6 but the actual toolbutton will not show up on the toolbar.)

There is no convenient way to exchange Generico filter settings, so here is a picture:

Here is what you would need to type into the editor of any place you want to show a video, such as a forum, label, topic, etc.

And of course Moodle 2.7 and above can make it easier by doing the typing for you because it will let you setup and use the Generico button for the Atto toolbar.

This works so well, I have not used the YouTube repository since Justin Hunt released the Generico filter. What's even better, you can set up filters to do many other nice things too. For instance, my site, quizzes, activities, and etc, all greet my students by name.

HTH someone,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I suppose its not a complete replacement for the YouTube repository because that allows you to search for videos. Though in most cases you would already know the video you wanted, and its just getting into Moodle in a way that will turn it into a player. 

Generico gives you interesting options too. For example you could have text or images linked to Youtube videos that display in a lightbox. That makes it possible to have 12 videos on a single page without load issues or worrying about screen real estate.  Examples and details here: http://demo.poodll.com/mod/page/view.php?id=141

In reply to Justin Hunt

回應: Re: Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

by Shwu-Fen Kuo -
Hi all,
Does anyone can provide the patch for v2.6 or v2.7 ?

Thanks.
In reply to Shwu-Fen Kuo

Re: 回應: Re: Youtube videos repository -- no longer working

by sonia sonia -

Hi, I generated the key from google developers and I made changes about https://github.com/moodle/moodle/compare/MOODLE_28_STABLE...aolley:MDL-50176_28 link as recommended. I've Moodle 2.8.1 version but when I try to acces at repository I've this error message attached in the image bellow. 

Some help? thanks in advance!

In reply to sonia sonia

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi sonia,

hehe, maybe you did introduce the Google API key in the "Repository name" by mistake? Now, the whole world knows your (secret) API key (I'd recommend you to replace it by a new one ASAP).

Also, for public knowledge I wanted to share that MDL-50176 has been already integrated and it's available for Moodle 2.8, 2.9 and dev (it was impossible to apply the fix to 2.7 because we are missing the Google libraries there).

So, right now, changes are already available @ git and, in a couple of hours, will be also available @ the downloads page (being packaged right now)...

That way you can get the youtube repository working again, of course, once you get an API key from Google. Documentation will be updated soon (feel free to collaborate, it's a wiki).

Last, many thanks to Adam Olley for his work there, yay!

Ciao smile

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by sonia sonia -

hI!, IT WORKS.....and yes, I've change my API key. jajaja,... smile

In reply to sonia sonia

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

For anyone coming to this thread in the near future, I've updated the Youtube videos repository documention with instructions on how to get an API key, if it helps.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by shilpa sood -

Hello Mary

I have currently my moodle running with 2.7 version . So Please let me know what i can do for you -tube changes.

Can You Please let me know , how we change the code. Which code will change?

Please need ASAP

Thanks

In reply to shilpa sood

by Mary Cooch -

Hello. As I understand it there is no easy way to do this for Moodle 2.7. The best way would be to upgrade but if you can't or don't want to do that yet then look in the tracker issue for this problem - MDL-50176 and read Adam Olley's comment about how people using 2.7 can backport this. (I am sorry I don't understand it myself so cannot explain more.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by shilpa sood -

I have read about that, but no hints that how i will change that , is there's any patch so we can apply it to change the code. And how i will apply the patch if the patch is

Thanks

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Cori Murphy -

Hello 

We have this same issue, and are a bit baffled by the instructions on the Moodle Tracker issue: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-50176 

Finally, I may suggest the creation of a "m27tube" repository plugin, created by duplicating the current 2.8 one, tweaking it a bit and bundling the new Google libraries with it. Surely it's the easiest solution, not interfering with the rest of core. Then, use it in your sites, instead of the core one.

We are happy to backport the 2.8 folder to get the new library files but we are stumbling around in the dark a bit. Can anyone provide some details and instructions on exactly how to do this?  What kind of tweaking do we need to do? We upgraded to 2.7 recently and we can’t upgrade again until next summer.

Any help is very much appreciated!

In reply to Ken Task

by Jason Touw -

Ken - 

Coincidentally at the same time our Google Drive Repository stopped working, so did the YouTube Repository.

Screenshot:

I am at a total loss here...five hours of flustering around with this between the Google Developers site and our moodle.  I tried a few YouTube videos of the Google Developers site to make sure that I am creating the API's with the correct parameters, but all of the videos I found are outdated...Google has changed the layout and format of the Developers Console significantly since the time they were created.  Perhaps there is someone in the community that can provide some updated screenshots start to finish or a screencast?

Thanks!