Deadlock error when exporting to grades to Excel

Deadlock error when exporting to grades to Excel

by Thomas College -
Number of replies: 10

We have an instructor who receives a deadlock error when attempting to export his gradebook to Excel.  He can export to a .csv or .ods, just not to Excel.  I'm able to export to Excel in other courses without error, so it seems to be specific to the course.  The process runs until our timeout value is met.  After that we receive the attached error.

Has anyone run across this problem before when attempting to export grades, or does anyone have any insight as to what is causing the deadlock?

Our current environment is:

Moodle 2.8.5

Windows Server 2012R2

SQLServer 2014

PHP 5.5

Thanks

In reply to Thomas College

Re: Deadlock error when exporting to grades to Excel

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you export successfully from his course? Is his gradebook larger that other ones? Have you tried increasing the timeout?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Thomas College -

Emma,

Thanks for the reply.  When you say export, do you mean export the entire course to a backup?

His gradebook is does not seem to be excessively large.  There are 16 students in the gradebook and 14 assignments.

Our timeout value is 30 minutes.  Do you think the timeout value needs to be longer than 30 minutes?

Thanks

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

30 minutes?  Or seconds?  I meant export to Excel - isn't that where the problem is?  Can you export his gradebook to Excel (is it specific to this teacher or just to the course?)

If timeout is 30 minutes that should way more than enough.  If 30 seconds, change it to 360.

by Thomas College -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the reply.  Our  timeout is set to 30 minutes. 

I am unable to export the gradebook to Excel.  I am able to export to Excel in the instructor's other courses, and a test course.  At this point, it seems to be specific to one course, and only exporting to Excel.

Thanks

by Emma Richardson -

I would guess that you have some corrupted data in the gradebook.  You might try doing a backup and restore of the course and see if that resolves the issue.  I have had a gradebook get corrupted before and that resolved it for me.

by Thomas College -

Hi Emma,

Sorry for the late reply.  We had a second instructor report the same problem today.  I recommended exporting to .csv as I thought it would be quicker than backing up and restoring the course.

Is there any specific data in the gradebook that would be corrupted? Any columns or rows in the database that I could look at?  Is there any sense as to what may cause the data corruption?

Thanks

by Thomas College -

We've recently had a third instructor report this problem.  I'm assuming the stack trace is the same, as it is the same problem as above, but I haven't been able to pull one after the timeout.  Going by the attached stack trace above, does anyone have any insight into where the export process is failing?

Thanks

by Thomas College -

The instructor who originally reported this problem experienced the same problem recently when exporting to an Excel spreadsheet.  As before, the instructor is able to export to an .ods file properly, but when attempting to export to an .xlsx file the process gets 'stuck' until our time out value is reached. 

Would any one have any insight as to were the export is getting stuck?  Previously I had the same problem exporting the instructor's grade book when this was first reported, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the instructor's account.

We never tried to export the original course and restore it from backup, but I don't think it's a course specific problem, as it has occurred in two different courses. 

Thanks

by Thomas College -

The instructor who originally reported this problem experienced the same problem recently when exporting to an Excel spreadsheet.  As before, the instructor is able to export to an .ods file properly, but when attempting to export to an .xlsx file the process gets 'stuck' until our time out value is reached. 

Would any one have any insight as to were the export is getting stuck?  Previously I had the same problem exporting the instructor's grade book when this was first reported, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the instructor's account.

We never tried to export the original course and restore it from backup, but I don't think it's a course specific problem, as it has occurred in two different courses. 

Thanks