Ghost users in Scorms embedded in weekly format course

Ghost users in Scorms embedded in weekly format course

by Mignonne Davis -
Number of replies: 1

We have scorms that are embedded in some of our weekly format courses.  These courses have participants added exclusively through an external database method.  When I look at the partcipants in the course itself, it exactly matches the external database.

However, if I look at the REPORTS in a scorm that is embedded in the same course, I see now about a 100 extra users who do not show up as ever having tried this scorm and are not otherwise partcipants in this course (they are not in the external database). 

Doing some research, I have found that these 100 or so users are all users added to a DIFFERENT course via a new method we just added recently - 'course enrolment confirmations' where they indicate they want to join the course and then we approve them or not and they get an email to this affect.  I do not see  a way to configure it that I am allowing these users access to all scorms on our site!  It's really just a reporting issue that seems tied to capability because I've debugged the reporting code all the way to the call to get_users_by_capability and it is indeed returning these users that are not even enroled in this particular course!

Very bizarre and while it just appears to be a reporting issue, it's quite bothersome that these 100 or so users enroled this different way seem to somehow have different capabilities than regular users, which is quite disturbing.

thanks for any guidance on whether this is a bug or how to further debug it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mignonne Davis

Re: Ghost users in Scorms embedded in weekly format course

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The reports look at the capability "mod/scorm:savetrack" - the role you use to assign these users probably has this capability and you should probably remove it and review the other capabilities as well to make sure they can't do other things they shouldn't.

If they are not assigned into this role within this course it's possible they have been assigned the role at the course category or site level.