Assessment Weighting - Combining student and tutor grades

Assessment Weighting - Combining student and tutor grades

by Kenji Lamb -
Number of replies: 1

I have a Workshop activity set up where students submit a short essay which is then assigned to 2 other students in the class for marking. A nominated tutor also grades the assignment, giving 3 marks in total.

I was hoping that by using the 'Assessment Weighting' option, I could have the tutor's mark account for 90% of the final grade and each of the students' marks account for the remaining 10% (5% each).

However, when I looking at the Assessment Weighting choices in the drop-down list, there are a series of numbers 0-16. I have NO idea what to do with this; changing the figures to, for example 8 for the tutor and 1 for the students doesn't seem to have any effect.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? Any suggestions are deeply appreciated!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kenji Lamb

Re: Assessment Weighting - Combining student and tutor grades

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The values 0 - 16 are there for backwards compatibility with Workshop 1.x. If you set the teacher assessment's weight to 8 while keeping the other two at 1, the teacher's grade will be 8-times more significant in calculations.

doesn't seem to have any effect

You should see the effect of the weight once your workshop is in the Grading evaluation phase and you click the "Recalculate grades" button. If a submission received grades A and B from peers, and the grade C from the teacher, and the teacher's assessment has weight set to 8, then the final grade should be (A + B + 8 * C) / 10.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_arithmetic_mean for full explanation.

Also note, the grading evaluation method Comparison with the best assessment takes the weight into account, too. In your case, the teacher's assessment will be always picked as the referential ("best") one. See https://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_Workshop#Grade_for_assessment for details.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)