Anomaly Theme in Version 2.8.5

Anomaly Theme in Version 2.8.5

by Graham Treadwell -
Number of replies: 13

I am trying to upgrade my School's Moodle website to 2.8.5 and do not want to change the Theme which has been Anomaly for several years.

I cannot find Anomaly as a download for 2.8.5

Will Anomaly be supported in 2.8.5 and later versions of Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Treadwell

Re: Anomaly Theme in Version 2.8.5

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I donlt think there will be a problem. Just make a copy of your Anomaly theme you have now and install it back into your site after you upgrade. It should work, if not let me know and I'll fix it for you.

Alternatively Download the one from the Plugins directory as that was updated prior to being removed from Moodle 2.7. So that too will work in Moodle2.8.

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_anomaly

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Graham Treadwell -

Thanks Mary.  I did try the process a day or so ago and I got a message back indicating that Anomaly was only available for Moodle up to version 2.7?

It might have just been a temporary glitch but the good news is that it now workssmile.

We have used this theme on the school website for several years now.  I like its feel and would not want to confuse the students too much from their endeavours while trying to learn new navigation techniquessmile

However, I will try to change the colours on the pages to be the same as the light blue and white of the school and even add the school logo.  That would be more professional.  Does Moodle have any software to create a suitably proportioned logo for the website?

Regards

Graham

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That is perhaps because you tried to "Install" directly. You cannot as it won't let you as you found, but you can "Download" it to your computer.

You can then install it using the "add a zip file" option in Site Administration > Plugins > Install Add-on page.

But you need to have downloaded the theme to your desktop first so that you can Upload it via Moodle who will extract the files and install it remotely for you. That is how I do it most times as I install 2.2 themes into my Moodle 2.9 Dev site for fun, to see how they perform and most seem to work OK smile

So you can do it...

By the way I worked on the Anomaly theme when I was working for New School Learning a couple of years ago. I love that theme. I added the menu that still works better than the Bootstrap one. And also the Tagline option which makes it look so much like the Moodle 1.9 Anomaly theme.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Just H -

A little time saver tip; if you edit the sites you have registered (i.e. in the case of this thread, change the version of your registered site from 2.8+ to 2.7) the automatic install will work then just edit the version of your site back to the correct version and you're good to go.

Of course if "downloading" via command line to your server not much of a time saver but can be quicker than from Plugins > PC > to site.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Just H

by Graham Treadwell -

Thanks for this tip which will go directly into my reference files for future usesmile.  I will also forward the message to a friend who does much of the work "under the hood".

by Just H -

No worries, although I think being able to do that could be classified as a bug (I assume it doesn't get the real version for privacy reasons?) ... how about a tip on how to get a gig in Thailand running Moodle in return smile

by Mary Evans -

Hi Greham,

I got distracted after reading your opening comment and so answered without reading down the page.

Glad you got the theme installed. Changing colours should not be too difficult, as you can add the changes via the Anomaly settings page Custom CSS box.

As for the Logo no Moodle doesn't have any software for that but you can create a logo using GIMP which is a free 'GNU Image Manipulation Package'. I have never used it but I have heard very good reports about it. I use 'Paint Shop Pro 7' myself, which I have had for a very long time.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Graham Treadwell -

Thanks Mary.  I will try to create a logo and change the theme colours as soon as possible  which will be later this week.  The new Academic Year starts next week in Thailand and this is my last opportunity to get major repairs made to my condo for several months!  As I write this, I am waiting for builders to arrive to re-sand and re-finish all teak wood floors in my unit which were flooded while I was on vacation (a friend watering plants forgot to turn of a balcony tap).

I really appreciate this Forum.  This is the first time that we have succeeded in upgrading to a new version of Moodle while also retaining all previous course data and we are quite "chuffed" about that..

In Thailand, I have found it difficult to find any other Moodle users to share experiences with.  I'm sure that there are other schools that use it but I have not yet been able to make contact directly with any of those who are hands-on with maintenance of the system.  I see that there is a Thailand Forum but it seems to be written in Thai with no option of translationsad

In reply to Mary Evans

by Debbie Unterseher -

We just updated from Moodle 2.6 to 2.8, and copied the Anomaly theme from the plugins directory.  As you can see on the attached pdf, when you go to the gradebook, the tabbed links do not appear correctly.  The first screen shoot is of Anomaly, the second is of the "Clean" theme that 2.8 comes with.  We prefer to use Anomaly since that is what we've used for several years.  Any ideas of what to change to make this look better? 

In reply to Debbie Unterseher

by Mary Evans -

The grader page does not look like that in 2.8, so I am wondering if you have not upgraded correctly, either that or I am misunderstanding  which view of the grader you are talking about?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Debbie Unterseher -

This is the Grader Report (Course Administration, Grades) - but I do have my Grades, General Settings, Navigation method set to Tabs and Dropdown menu.  Maybe I should take off the Tabs option.