User name only allowed to be lower case

User name only allowed to be lower case

by robin calvanese -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

I am trying to import users to my course.  I am not allowed to import or create a user who is using uppercase in their username.  This is causing a great problem as some of the users are already using upper case user names on my current site.  When they sign up for a program the plugin will not import their profile because there is an upper case letter in their user name.

I have checked the Allow extended characters in usernames box and cleared the cache.

I still cannot add users with uppercase letters in their usernames.

please help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to robin calvanese

Re: User name only allowed to be lower case

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So just change them to lowercase...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by robin calvanese -

At the moment, and for a few subscribers, that is fine.

But we cannot do it for future events and courses.  It is just too time demanding to change their login, get in touch with them, and then supplying tech support for the users who do not understand.

I am looking for a solution to the problem.  But thank you for responding.

by robin calvanese -

I guess I was not completely clear in my request.

I am also, in addition to adding users, using a plugin that automatically imports users who subscribe from our webpage and puts their information into the database. There are many users who already have a user name and will be using that user name to subscribe to teachings on our moodle site.  Some of them, or many of them have upper case letter in their user names.  So when they subscribe to a course, their information does not get added to moodle because of the lower/upper case issue.  And we do not know who this happens to until they contact us.  It is rather unprofessional and frustrating for all.

Thank you for your response.  And my apologies for not being more clear.

In reply to robin calvanese

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Usernames are forced lowercase in Moodle (so they are case insensitive). If you are saying that your plugin fails to do that then the issue is with your plugin. Having fixed that, it's easy enough to fix the existing user table to make sure all usernames are lower case. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Martyn Bevan -

Hi Howard,

I'm having a very similar problem. I have taken over this role recently and I'm basically finding my way through this with a bit of a struggle.

We have a number of returning students who have forgotten their passwords. So I have gone into the system to force a password change. However in many instances the system will not allow me to do this. It reports an error saying only lowercase letters allowed.

The only area where there are uppercase letters is in their username.

In your previous reply you said that it could be a failing plug in. Are you able to suggest which plug in would be responsible for forcing to lowercase. If you can it might help me to investigate further.

Thanks

Martyn Bevan

In reply to Martyn Bevan

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Howard was responding to someone using a custom plugin to import users.

Moodle does not allow upper case in usernames.  You need to switch them to lower case.

Parthed: Re: User name only allowed to be lower case

by Martyn Bevan -

Thank you for responding Emma,

When I go in to their user profile the field at the top shows their username with an uppercase initial followed by the surname beginnin with an uppercase letter then a number seperated by dots. If I then attempt to change the offending usernames to read all lower case it then tells me that the username already exists. These are existing users who were able to successfully log in last year.

It seems that the only thing that I can do with these is delete them completely and then set them up again. Bit of a pain as there are over 500 of them.

Thanks anyway

Martyn Bevan

In reply to Martyn Bevan

Re: Parthed: Re: User name only allowed to be lower case

by Emma Richardson -

Before you do that, try changing them in the database directly.  I guess they were created outside of Moodle and moodle accepted but when you try to change the profile inside of moodle, it then realizes that they are not lowercase.  If you can get into the database, you should be able to change them there without issue.

In reply to Martyn Bevan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

...and (with my moderator hat on) please don't dig up old threads. Better to start a new one with *full* details of your problems. 

In reply to Howard Miller

Parthed: Re: User name only allowed to be lower case

by Martyn Bevan -

Thank you again Emma, but I think that is beyon me. I have no idea how to get into the database to make any changes.

Howard, I apologize for hijacking this thread. If you would prefer it moved to a new thread I'll end it here.

Thanks

Martyn Bevan