Comparisons and advocacy

Integration of Moodle and MIS

Picture of Neha Jog
Integration of Moodle and MIS

Dear All,

I'm starting this thread to gather information about integrating MIS of any university or college with Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
My mug
Re: Integration of Moodle and MIS
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersPlugin developersTesters

Hi, Neha.

I've shifted this post to a different forum as it doesn't seem to be related to Research.

It's not clear to me what you intend to do with this thread, but perhaps you have a plan.

Michael.

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

MIS??? Management Information System???  or do you mean a Student Information System? Why do you differentiate between universities, colleges and not include high, junior high, elementary schools as well? I am going to assume here that we are talking about the same thing. 

If you are advocating the possibility of marrying the two systems to make a complete, one stop shop, then AFAIK, there has never been a serious attempt to do so. 

There are a number of freeware SIS' around, and I have always thought that if they could be integrated into Moodle then that would take care of one of the largest problems, and a large annoyance, at the same time. The problem is getting people used to the idea of using Moodle. The annoyance is most schools I have worked in have not been able to set up an SSO, their techies do not have sufficient skill of the right type to be able to do this. When I raise the issue with the schools, I am shut down pretty quickly, for the same reason.  

I would seriously urge you to try. As it stands, I know there is at least one proprietal SIS that is trying to expand its role into Learning Management. So far they have simple class notes, uploads of task sheets, and a rudimentary grade book. They do have a sophisticated reporting system, attendance module and absence monitor, as well as school resources monitor, resource booking, messaging, daily organisers, timetables and so on. There are also a host of other features I know exist but have never been privy to using.     

To me, this represents the greatest threat to Moodle, a single tool that is a fully integrated school and learning management system. Sure it will be rather large, and complex, and likely error prone initially, but as the bugs are weeded out, it would become a very powerful tool. 

Picture of Neha Jog

Dear Colin,

Yes, I mean the same.. wht u call as SMIS in UK.. we call it as MIS. The same can be implemented for schools too. Since I'm  working for University I refer the same. Right now we are developing a software which consists of Students Data (MIS) and by using LDAP tool and Active Directory we are trying to integrate. 

This is the basic thing which is being done right now.  If anything new regarding this integration is their I would like to know that.