Upgrade Essential theme and keep the urrent setting

Upgrade Essential theme and keep the urrent setting

by Nfoudikue Ibrahim -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

We are using Essential theme version  2.8.0.1 (Build: 2014113000) (2014120600) , Moodle 2.8.3, OS: Ubuntu 14.04. 

We want to upgrade to 2.8.1.4 (Build: 2015040900) (2015040900). Because of some issues we are  facing like bad presentation and  display images with IE 8 to 10, poor option of edition (especially table) compare to our previous Moodle 2.4.1 version.

I want to know if we will keep our current setting or we will start to zero (graphic charter,  logo, slide share, header,  footer etc).

Regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nfoudikue Ibrahim

Re: Upgrade Essential theme and keep the urrent setting

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are using version 2.8.0.1 in production?  If so, why!!!!  It's a pre-release don't go any where near a production server version.

Ok, to answer the question, the settings 'should' be kept as I have endeavoured to keep the setting name changes to a minimum.  However, you MUST test the upgrade process for yourself first on a test server to confirm that all will be well for you.  The code is GPLv3 licensed and as such is provided 'as is', thus it's down to you to check that it is fine for your setup.

In reply to Nfoudikue Ibrahim

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

All the setting for any theme, that you use a settings page for, are stored in your Moodle database in the mdl_config_plugins table.

However, just take casre and whatever you do DO NOT uninstall it via your Plugins overview page as that will wipe out the setting that are in the database.

If you want to upgrade, just manually remove the old theme and replace with the new theme. All should be well. But as Gareth pointed out, it is up to you to cross check the settings page of both the old and the new theme to see if they are identical or not.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nfoudikue Ibrahim -

Thanks Mary and Gareth!

My problem is solved in less than 10 min. Almost all setting are there.

Great job Gareth for this theme/version!

I have liked your " If so, why!!!!  It's a pre-release don't go any where near a production server version"big grin

Almost all the display problem  are solved. But we still check.

Ready to move to the pilote phase!smile