Mobile using additional features (shibboleth) not returning to app after login

Re: Mobile using additional features (shibboleth) not returning to app after login

by Nic Duke -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Edd,

I don't suppose you found a solution to the problem of users not being redirected following auth in browser? 

Juan has kindly offered to help debug this but it will be difficult for us to provide him a test account to facilitate this.

any advice gratefully received smile

In reply to Nic Duke

Re: Mobile using additional features (shibboleth) not returning to app after login

by Edd Talbot -

Hi Nic,

We still have no resolution for this and I'm not sure where to look.

I provided a test login but I'm not sure whether Juan got anywhere with it.

I'm going through a process of trying to make sure that all the systems are up to date and doing some general tidying of the detritus that builds over time but nothing has made an impact yet.

sad

In reply to Edd Talbot

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Edd,

I remember that I tested your site and it worked for me, can you review our private messages historic in Moodle. Maybe I'm missing something.

Please, try again and let me know if it still doesn't work (maybe we broke something in latest releases)

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Edd Talbot -

Hi Juan,

This is the error being returned in the php log for both ldap and shibboleth. I'm guessing that it means the token generator isn't receiving the information back but I'm unsure what to do about it. 

[27-Aug-2015 14:28:53 Europe/London] Default exception handler: A required parameter (username) was missing Debug:
Error code: missingparam
* line 481 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
* line 548 of \lib\moodlelib.php: call to print_error()
* line 30 of \login\token.php: call to required_param()

I was under the impression that token.php is a part of standard Moodle rather than something directly related to mobile?

We do run a dual login system with students authenticated via shibboleth and staff authenticated via ldap. My understanding is that that shouldn't matter because the login has to return the correct username details in order to grant access.

Previously the ldap side worked but the shibboleth failed. The problem seems to be with both now.

Thanks again,

Edd

In reply to Edd Talbot

by Sourabh Maheshwari -

Hi Edd,

Could you please help us in setting this Shibboleth method for SSO on our website and app. I tried to follow the instructions on moodle page but looks like it is not very clear and easy to use. Please suggest a guide or steps for quickly setting it up.

Thanks

In reply to Sourabh Maheshwari

by Edd Talbot -

Hi Sourabh,

Our solution ended up being a little convoluted and much of this response is supposition rather than known fact.

The problem was with shibboleth and the time being taken from shibboleth authentication through to returning to the mobile app.

Although moodle was generating the token correctly, the connection seemed to timeout rather than return the token.

What we have ended up doing is creating a second ldap connection and authenticating staff through one ldap directory and students through a different one.

This has allowed us to remove shibboleth completely from Moodle which I suspect might not be an option for you.

This has fixed the problem with the mobile app and removed the need to direct to the web browser and has also fixed a number of other issues we were having with the time taken for an authentication response. e.g. Moodle flagging up that you were already logged in despite it being your first attempt.

I'm more than happy to share our code for a second ldap connection if this is of use to you.

Thanks,

Edd

In reply to Edd Talbot

by Sourabh Maheshwari -

Thanks Edd for willing to share the code.

Unfortunately, Moodle app is not directing login to my website. I have used browse via app in Mobile additional feature plugin but still it remains at the login page in the app. I have upgraded to Moodle 3.0.

Kindly let me know if I am missing anything here.

Thanks and Regards,

Sourabh

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sourabh,

your plugin is not correctly configured, please, follow the detailed instructions here:

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Moodle_Mobile_additional_features#Installation

If you run this URL: yourmoodle.abc/local/mobile/check.php?service=local_mobile you should see error 0, currently error 1 is displayed (that means that is not correctly configured)

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Sourabh Maheshwari -

Hi Juan,

This issue got resolved on implementing your suggestions. However when I updated the version of my customized app to the latest release and that of Moodle Mobile additional features, I am again not being able to redirect users for SSO login via browser when they install my app. Here is the website url for your reference: www.saamarthyaved.com

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Sourabh

by Sourabh Maheshwari -

Hello,

Please check out our customized android app made available at playstore for testing. You can see that it is not prompting for login via browser though that has been enabled and other plugin and code also updated.

Please try our android mobile app available at

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.saam.arth

Thanks 

Sourabh

by Sourabh Maheshwari -

Please use following login details:

Username: guest1

Pswd: Guest@123