passing score

passing score

by michael michael -
Number of replies: 12

Dear all,

we just move to Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.8, we facing a problem now in creating quizzes, we cant set the passing score for each quiz.

in previous we were used the scorm package for creating quizzes and now decide to build them again but with Moodle quiz module.

Attachment completion.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to michael michael

Re: passing score

by Francesca Q -

Dear Michael,

to set the passing score:

1. in the Administration block, click on Grades to access the Grader Report;
  2. now click on the "Turn editing on" button on the right, over the Grader Report;
  3. under the name of each activity, now you should see an icon to edit the item:Icons in Grader report
  4. click on the icon to Edit the grade item.
  5. click on the link "Show more..."
    Show more link on Grade item page
  6. insert your "Grade to pass" in the dedicated field and Save

In the grader report pass grades are highlighted in green and fail grades in red.

In the course, students will see in the completion activity box a green thick  if the quiz is passed or a red cross if they failed .

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Francesca Q

by michael michael -

really thanks for your gr8 reply, it's so useful for me :D

thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

In reply to Francesca Q

by michael michael -

another thing i stuck in,

is there any way to use the passing score while i'm setting up the completion tracking in the quiz itself , as you can see below there is only 2 option student must review or student must recive grade. i need to use the passing score in it.

Attachment completion.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Michael MIchael -if you are using 2.8 as you say you are then you should see the grade to pass option - as in here:

Can you confirm which version of Moodle you are  using? When you go to that page and click "Moodle docs for this page" at the  bottom of the screen, which documentation version number does it give?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francesca Q -

Michael,  you have to set the completion tracking in the quiz ticking the "Require grade" checkbox (actually we tick the "Require view" checkbox too) and then set the passing score in the Grader report.

In Moodle 2.8 we don't tick the "Require passing grade" checkbox in the quiz, since we noticed that, if we do so, students get a blue tick in the completion activity box only if pass the quiz - if they fail, the checkbox remains blank as if the quiz has never been attempted.

Our students (and also teachers and tutors) used to see the green tick or the red cross in the completion activity box in Moodle 2.6, so we decided to keep the same kind of visual feedback.

In reply to Francesca Q

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So...setting a require passing grade does the opposite of what it should?  If I require another activity to restrict access unless they have a passing score it won't work?  That may actually be what I'm seeing right now.  The grade shows as passed in the gradebook as passed but the course completion just shows a blue check.  And the next activity won't let anyone in, even though they have passed.  Over the past week I set up over 150 courses to do this...

In reply to Francesca Q

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I found that you have to require a grade and require a passing grade for it to work.  And, of course,  you have to set the grade to pass.  And then you get the red X and green check.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by michael michael -
sorry i found it 2.7 not 2.8 yet.

by Francesca Q -

In 2.7 you can use the settings I wrote on my first reply and set the passing score: we are using those settings both in 2.6 and 2.8.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Jonker -

Mary,

I have also done some experiments and looked at tracker issues where you replied. Also at the answers in this discussion and how red crosses and green ticks should appear.

I did my experiments in http://school.demo.moodle.net/mod/quiz/view.php?id=723

Basically my confusion is on the activity completion setting 'Require passing grade'.
I am using Moodle 3 (same as school.demo.net) and have done the following.

Scenario 1
a. 'Grade to pass' set in Grade in quiz settings
b. Activity completion:  
Student must receive a grade to complete this activity
Require passing grade

This results in only green tick boxes for those who got the passing grade.
My expectation would be that you would have red crosses for those who have attempted but failed?

In this discussion it's also mentioned as a blue tickbox instead of green?

Scenario 2
a. 'Grade to pass' set in Grade in quiz settings
b. Activity completion:  
Student must receive a grade to complete this activity
(to be clear here I left 'Require passing grade' unticked)

This results in green tick boxes for those who got the passing grade and red crosses for those who attempted but failed.

This is the behaviour I want but it is strange to me that I would have to leave to 'Require passing grade' unticked.

In reply to Peter Jonker

by callum Wood -

Hi Peter, Thanks for the testing and explanation, however, in scenario 2 the activity would be considered as complete even if the user has not received the passing grade.

So if you had 2 quizzes and course completion was set to expect both quizzes to be complete they would show as completed the course even if they failed both the assessments.

Is there any way around this whilst still keeping the red cross and green tick?

In reply to callum Wood

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No, there is no way around this. If you want red crosses, the activity must be considered complete.

Can you not find some other way to do the course completion. E.g. requrie a certain grade for each quiz, rather than just requiring that the quiz is complete.