Does the Scorm activity use java - chrome issue

Does the Scorm activity use java - chrome issue

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 4

Saw this today and it made me wonder if there is any java used in the moodle scorm activity, or infact anywhere in core moodle?

-----------

NPAPI support by Chrome

The Java plug-in for web browsers relies on the cross platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which has long been, and currently is, supported by all major web browsers. Google announced in September 2013 plans to remove NPAPI support from Chrome by "the end of 2014", thus effectively dropping support for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins. Recently, Google has revised their plans and now state that they plan to completely remove NPAPI by late 2015. As it is unclear if these dates will be further extended or not, we strongly recommend Java users consider alternatives to Chrome as soon as possible. Instead, we recommend Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari as longer-term options. As of April 2015, starting with Chrome Version 42, Google has added an additional step to configuring NPAPI based plugins like Java to run -- see the section Enabling NPAPI in Chrome Version 42 and later below.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ward

Re: Does the Scorm activity use java - chrome issue

by Just H -

Little bit of a discussion already down in the developers forum; nothing specific re SCORM or Moodle though.

In reply to Peter Ward

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The SCORM activity in Moodle doesn't contain any JAVA code and I'm not aware of any core Moodle code that does either. There are a couple of 3rd party plugins that might - I vaguely recollect some 3rd party audio/video recording plugins that used JAVA in some way.

It is possible that some SCORM packages might contain JAVA Applet's but I don't recall seeing any myself.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Peter Ward -

Thanks Dan.

Much appreciated.

Peter