Upgrade from 2,6 to ??

Upgrade from 2,6 to ??

by Christopher Britt -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all,

2.6 on windows 7 and hostgator server.

I love Moodle but TinyMCE is causing SERIOUS PROBLEMS, I can´t edit anything and I´m thinking that an upgrade will solve the problem?

To be honest I don´t want to but if needs be...

OK I´m on 2.6 and had everything working and need to know the following:

• Will my page and files be converted or will I need to do everything again?
  • Which Moodle is the most user friendly and stable?

As I said before I´m having to do this because I can´t find a way to repair TinyMCE

Thanks in advance

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Britt

Re: Upgrade from 2,6 to ??

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

An upgrade should solve the problem.  Possibly just a reinstall of the text editor might solve it too.  2.6 to 2.7 is a pretty easy upgrade - yes, all your content will remain.  Just go through the upgrade documentation and you should be good to go.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Emma

We have given opposite advice! Why are you so sure that TinyMCE will start "working" in 2.7? We don't even know what the problems OP is having. I have searched our infamous Text editor forum and didn't find evidence that TinyMCE does not work with Moodle 2.6.

Christopher,
What does "2.6 on windows 7 and hostgator server" mean? Your client is Windows 7 (which browser) and the server is unknown, something hostgator assigned to you? That would be odd. Windows 7 is the most popular desktop operating system and Moodle should work with it, well unless you have some broken browser. The thing about the hosting provider, when you order a server you decide which operating system!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, I saw that - we must have both replied at almost the same time!

I have seen a lot of success in reinstalling or upgrading when just a specific module is experiencing issues.   If they were thinking about upgrading anyway, that would be a good place to start.  If something is corrupted in one module, often a refresh of the core files will resolve it.

However, you are correct - there could be something else causing the issue.  A theme perhaps even.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Christopher Britt -

Hi Emma,

Re the theme, I´m using what I think is 'skyblue' and have been since I started on moodle.

I´ve looked on Moodle and couldn´t find the TinyMCE to download and re install and not knowing thought that it´s better to ask first?

If I upgrade from 2.6.1 to 2.7, how simple is it, please tell me it´s a case click install and let it run?

Hasta luego

Chris

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Christopher Britt -
Visanath,

OK, my PC is Windows 7, 64 bit and I use Firefox, I get the same result in Google and Microsoft browsers, my pages are on Hostgator server and I think they`re Linux but I do know for sure.

TinyMCE was on 2.6.1 and worked properly for over 18 months before this happened, and as I said in responce to Emma I haven´t been able to find the file to re install it.

Take care

Chris

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chris, with you writing that moodle is most user friendly and stable, you wont find MUCH of a different in any of the moodle since version 2.0, just by looking at moodle (despite same theme used) no one can tell which version it is. Regarding stability, every mature version is stable.

Now regarding your issue, what additional plug-ins are you using? are your plug-ins up-to-date? as sometimes it happens that additional plug-in brings in issues with the loading of text editors/uploading interface. So rather than upgrading and experiencing same issue, I would really recommend concentrating on your current installations (with add-on), if things didn't worked, then you can upgrade expecting better experience.

Should you need to upgrade, everything will be converted safely without you doing anything at all, BUT, have a look out at your plug-ins/add-ons, as you MAY be using that may not be written for Moodle 2.7+, so do have a look at that.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Christopher Britt -

Thanks for your responce,

Re plugins I only really use Hotpotatoes but there are other on the page such as Poodll, see images

As I´ve said before I´m not really tech savvy but do whatI have to and can, failing that I try and find the time to learn.

TTFN

Chris

Attachment AddOn2.PNG
Attachment AddOn3.PNG

by Emma Richardson -

You need to be looking at folders on the server.  Look in moodle/lib/editor - the tinymce folder should be in there.  Try copying over that same folder from your original moodle installation (if you have it).  If not, you then need to go to the Moodle downloads and download a 2.6 version that is closest to what you are running and then copy the folder over (just the tinymce folder).

An upgrade is not a button click.  You need to download the new moodle code, manually copy over any plugins and the config.php file and any themes that you use and then rename the old folder to something different and rename the new folder to moodle or whatever your folder is called now (sometimes public_html e.g.).  You need to read the instructions here - https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upgrading

Also, there was a big theme change in 2.7 (adding responsiveness) but it might affect your theme.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Has anybody mentioned that 2.7+ have a different (default) HTML editor?

If you were intending to upgrade anyway then it might be worth a punt and the Atto editor might suit you (and might work).

Most problems with heavily Javascript-esque things like the editor are caused by Javascript "clashes". You should try again with the Javascript console (of your browser) enabled. If you get errors, I would start by suspecting any plugins you might have installed (especially any obscure ones). 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)