Allowing course Managers to upload files larger than 500K in Moodle 2.4.3

Allowing course Managers to upload files larger than 500K in Moodle 2.4.3

by Gary Lebowitz -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I have upped the limit that theoretically is allowed for files being attached to a forum to 4MByte. I did this both via my Plesk 11 interface at the Linux server level and within the Moodle platform itself. As Site Administrator one can now upload large files now. And in the interface for uploads of attachments the word "illimited" is showing. But when a course Manager goes in, he/she sees a 500K file size limit showing, and, say, a 1.9MByte file fails with a message saying the file has exceeded the max file size permitted. The only workaround for the moment would be to make a trustworthy user a Site Administrator temporarily, but that is far too dangerous to do. Can anyone help me break through the 500K limit for course Managers so they can upload larger files? Thanks  in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Lebowitz

Re: Allowing course Managers to upload files larger than 500K in Moodle 2.4.3

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Gary.  Right now, I can upload a maximum file size of 50MB, limited by me on my Moodle.

In php.ini, I have set upload_max_filesize to 128M, and post_max_size to 128M.

Then, in Moodle, go to Site administration / ▶ Plugins / ▶ Activity modules / ▶ Assignment / ▶ Submission plugins / ▶ File submissions.  I set my limit to 50MB, but I do see that I can go as high as 128MB.

Then, in the course, (in a forum or in an assignment) you can set the upper limit for file attachments.  In one of my courses, I set this to 50MB.  But in most of my courses, I set the course limit to something much smaller than 50MB, and the activity file size limit to whatever seems appropriate, such as 5MB.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)