Server Requirement

Server Requirement

by Mohammad Talat -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

This is for my start-up where i have developed courses in articulate storyline#2 and which we will be hosting on Moodle 2.8.5.

We expect a total no of registered users of around 150, out of which around 100 can be the no of concurrent users.

Can someone please help by letting me know what kind of a server would i need for this? (RAM, HD requirement etc).

Also can someone please recommend a few budget (low cost) service providers also?

Many Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad Talat

Re: Server Requirement

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

for 100 users concurrent, you dont need high specs dedicated, a PRO level shared hosting will be sufficient, you will be able to find PRO hosting with many of the hosting providers, like BlueHost, Stable Host (calls it Enterprise hosting), With PRO/Business hosting, they allocate twice the resources as compared to standard shared hosting. 

Or if you dont want shared hosting, then entry level VPS will be sufficient with 2 cores and 2GB RAM, just make sure they have drives on RAID-10, ideally a VPS on SSD will be much better. for VPS have a look at HostWinds (hostwinds.com) or even better Contabo (www.contabo.com).

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Two thirds of the registered accessing the site concurrently is an overly cautious estimate. For more explanations read the initial pointers in the header of this (Hardware and performance) forum. There are more. The appear only when you start a new discussion, and then disappear!

by Seth Mengal -

Hi Talat,

I think a shared-business hosting won't do the trick, as 100 concurrent users could be a mess at times. I would recommend you to go to a cloud hosting like Google or Amazon, or if you cannot manage it yourself.

Have someone like cloudways take control of your Moodle App, they are good with support and also you can always scale up and scale down your server needs, from small server (25-40 users) to a large or x-x-large server (2000 students) within minutes. smile