Map feedback to courses in bulk

Map feedback to courses in bulk

by Bryce Holland -
Number of replies: 6
My apologies, but this is driving me crazy! I help manage a Moodle site for a University with tens of thousands of students and many hundreds of courses. We use a hidden Feedback activity on the site page for the anonymous Student Questionnaire at the end of each term. We then use the Map Feedback to Course option to ensure that the Questionnaire only shows up on the current term's courses.

My big question is: can courses be mapped in bulk? Currently I have to add them one-by-one, which can take well over two hours! It's ridiculous! What's more frustrating is the following help information that is provided:

Once you have selected the relevant course(s) from your search, you can associate them with this feedback using map course(s). Multiple courses may be selected by holding down the Apple or Ctrl key whilst clicking on the course names. A course may be disassociated from a feedback at any time.

Notice the part in bold? After you search for a range of courses, the results are displayed in a drop down list. The CTRL key is useless! 

Is there a way to use the same system that is used for the bulk management of users? That would allow the bulk addition and removal of mapped courses to a feedback survey. This University begins each course name the same way:  year/term (i.e. 15/SP for Spring term of 2015). So obviously searching for 15/SP would list all of the relevant courses.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I missing something?

I am currently testing other plugin options as well, but so far the feedback plugin would work the best if this issue could be resolved.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryce Holland

Re: Map feedback to courses in bulk

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Bryce

if you want all your courses should use the feedback you can achieve this if you don't map a course to the feedback. If there is no mapping, the feedback is shown in all courses.

As soon as you map one single course the feedback is only shown in the mapped course.

Maybe it is what you are looking for.

Best regards
Andreas

In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Bryce Holland -

Andreas,

Oddly enough, not mapping the feedback to the course has the opposite effect; it doesn't show on any courses. Maybe because there are so many (previous terms are archived and hidden).

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I just put mine on the front page and let anyone submit it.  I make it fully anonymous which encourages more honesty from students.  Then I just make the first question, What teacher are you leaving feedback for?  You could do the same and then just let them select their teacher/course...I don't map to courses either. 

On a side note, just because there is a drop down list should not stop you from selecting multiple courses within the list....

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bryce Holland -

Emma,

Thank you for your reply. Using CTRL or the Shift key does not work to select multiple courses from a drop-down list. The only way to add multiple courses is to select them one by one and click the Map to course button.

I like your idea with the first question, however that is not an option for me since I have to process the results to PDF documents per class. Considering that most students don't know the exact course name and number, using that question would add more time while processing, unfortunately.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So I have them select teacher name and period. 

I then download all results to Excel.  At that point, you could map your section number to the appropriate entries pretty easily, I would think.

I just use the filter feature in Excel to filter to each teacher (I don't worry about sections but could do that as well) and then I have a nice spreadsheet that I can send out or save as pdf and send out in your case.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bryce Holland -

Emma,

I like that idea, and I would definitely do that for a high school! However, this is a university with hundreds of instructors and courses that can change dynamically.

Bummer....

Thank you for your help, I will continue my search for alternative plugins and/or modules.