I don't claim to be perfect and I certainly don't claim to be an expert moodler, nor do i care to be as i don't have time to be an expert at everything. I don't feel bad for expressing frustration relative to what i shared. It's a normal response. I know that cause in the little time I've been moodling I've seen others express similar views in forums.
I just want to get my job done. In light of moodle who appears to seek suggestions, I figured out the problem, but that's what I'm saying - the lack of options with the default editor and lack of user friendliness of the other option in the Tiny MCE HTML editor on such a broad and detailed platform as moodle. I have a lot of experience in text editors on different platforms. The editor being a cornerstone in any platform. Sorry if i wasn't constructive enough.
I do thank you as you've been a reliable source of help.
For the sake of others, the solution to the problem was having to click on the 'clean up messy code' icon and then 'remove formatting' icon to first clean everything up and then put in new formatting.
I worked all night on it and while i knew from past experience that 'wingdings' font family choice does not give you usable text, but for some reason last night when I clicked on it it gave me the text i sought while in edit mode for 34 sections of my program. And while checking the results outside the editor it gave me the font i desired section after section. So, i used it for the whole course and it looked fine in the editor and outside the editor, which I thought maybe moodle does things differently. I woke up today to find a wingdings text throughout my course looking how a wingdings text is suppose to look - chaotic nonsense. The point is that it looked fine in the editor and outside the editor in real time, but the next morning looked completely different. Now that's a valid claim. So i have more work to do.