Auto-linking with Books not working

Auto-linking with Books not working

by Dale Siggerfjell -
Number of replies: 7
v.2.8.3

I have created a Glossary in a course, and have a book in the same course, and topic. I've enabled and set the following to allow auto-linking with a few default entries:

• Main Glossary, Simple Type
  • Auto link glossary entries: Yes
  • Book Filter -- Glossary auto-linking: On
  • Site Filter - Forced auto-linking
  • Purged all cache on server and browser
  • Default Theme - More

The auto-linking does not show up in the text in the book. I've looked all around for suggestions and I'm kind of at a loss.

Any help or suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Siggerfjell

Re: Auto-linking with Books not working

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Even with those settings in place, I think you still need to tick a box on each entry that you would like it to be auto-linked. On the editing screen for a given entry look for the checkbox labelled: "This entry should be automatically linked."

checkbox screenshot

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Dale Siggerfjell -

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I have actually done that for all the entires that I put into the glossary, but still has no effect. sad

by Kevin Wiliarty -

I guess that would have been too easy. smile

For what it's worth, I have tested this in Moodle 2.8.5 (not having a 2.8.3 handy) and found that autolinking worked correctly in a book using both Clean and More. Have you tried different browsers? Does autolinking work in your course for other kinds of content such as pages and labels?

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Dale Siggerfjell -
Thanks again for your reply. I have tried on 3 browers on 2 different OS and cleared site and browser caches.

Autolinking to resources only seems to work in the News Forum for the course, and not in Pages. I feel also like in Assignments making reference to other activities or resources has autolinking working. 

by Mary Cooch -
Gambar Documentation writers Gambar Moodle HQ Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Testers Gambar Translators
Is it not working with pre-existing words or does it not work with any new words that you add as well? I sometimes find that I need to add new words or simply go back in and do a minor edit of previous words/terms to "kickstart" the auto-linking. Just a thought. And presumably  you have tried with Clean theme (ie standard theme)?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dale Siggerfjell -
So I think I figured it out thanks to your help - I tried the kickstarting method that you said and nothing was happening. I could get the autolinks into assignments but nothing else.

Then I realized that the glossary and the topic was hidden, and as soon as I made it visible the autolinking feature was enabled.

Thanks so much for your patience and assistance! 

by Kevin Wiliarty -

That's a good outcome, then. In case you are interested, I have found that autolinks work with a visible glossary in a hidden section.