Set-up Moodle on Local Network

Set-up Moodle on Local Network

by Bill Meador -
Number of replies: 15

I have downloaded and installed the Mac OSX MAMP with Moodle and it works fine.....except that it is only available on the one system.  I admit that I am a novice at setting up Apache, PHP, MySQL, and Moodle, and hoped that this single installer would be the answer.

Can someone tell me how, or give me information on where to find the instructions, to make this installation available to the rest of the computers on my classroom network?  Or is this even possible?

Thanks,

Bill

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Meador

Re: Set-up Moodle on Local Network

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you originally set up mamp, did you set it up for external access or just accessible from your computer?

You should be able to reach it by finding the ip address of your computer and using that to access from other computers on same network.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bill Meador -

Thanks,  but I do not get any install options........for the Mac installer the set•up is to drag the MAMP icon to the Applications folder, then when I start MAMP, the Moodle installation occurs automatically when I click on the Moodle link......no options are offered.  I tried it three times, and never saw any options for setting in IP, must be for a different installation.

Bill

In reply to Bill Meador

by Robert Brenstein -
MAMP-based installation is really meant for local usage, like testing or course development. The setup as provided is not quite safe for production (that is access by others), although with know-how one can make it more secure. However, if it works locally, it should also be accessible from other computers if the configuration is right. I mean configurations of Moodle and Apache.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Bill Meador -

Thanks, not worried about any significant security issues, out network is closed as far as out side connections go.

I am sure you are right about the configurations, just not something I am familiar with, so will keep muddling through till I find a better solution.

In reply to Bill Meador

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Security is always the most important thing. Don't assume that security is "less important" because your network is closed. Any production server must be setup securely. Ignoring security will just compromise your network.

Have to read any of the setup documentation on Moodledocs? That's usually the best place for new people to get info about installing Moodle.

In reply to Bill Meador

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Bill

I understand your wish for a better solution. The only thing which remains to be clarified is what "better" means for you. Quoting an earlier post, "the set•up is to drag the MAMP icon to the Applications folder, then when I start MAMP, the Moodle installation occurs automatically when I click on the Moodle link..." you want a Moodle server for a class (school?) by dragging an icon the application folder. I don't know what that supposed to do in a specific computer, but you need to understand that Moodle works according to the client-server model. Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client%E2%80%93server_model. Moodle is just the server part. The client is the browser. There is a network in between.

Robert told you already that the package you are using is designed for the localhost. This is a fundamental problem with (user-friendly) packaging. Either it jump start or or if not, only an expert can make it run. The alternative is to go for less user-friendly installations. There is a huge choice here: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Category:Installation. There are three instruction sheets for Mac OS X. As an Open Source advocate my usual suggestion is "Install Moodle on a virtual Box from scratch" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=199542. If all that too much, you can go for external hosting. There are one-click hosting starting from USD 10 a month.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Bill Meador -

Yes, understand the client-server concept for Moodle, been using it through hosting services for about 10 years now.......was hoping to find a quick and easy local network installation for our staff, but will have to wait until I have a lot more time to work it.

Thanks,

Bill

In reply to Bill Meador

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Bill,

It will work!

Because Moodle works based on the URL that is in config.php file (included in Moodle folder)

Here is what you have to do.

Assuming your internal IP address for your MAC is 192.168.1.5 (if you are on DHCP) then try allocating static IP to your MAC. 

Now, go to moodle folder (within that package folder) and find file "config.php"

open/edit that file and go to line where its written

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://localhost';

change that localhost to the IP address that you have allocated to your MAC, e.g: 192.168.1.5

making it look like $CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://192.168.1.5';

Save your file, and try opening from other computer, but as well be aware, once you have made the changes, you will not be able to open from your local MAC just typing http://localhost, now you have to as well use that IP, hence typing http://192.168.1.5

Assuming your essential ports are opened (80 and 3306 for MySQL), it should work without any issue. Lemme know if you manage to get there.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Bill Meador -

Well, gave it a go, but did not work.  Made the changes to the PHP file, and when I go to another machine and put in the IP address the Moodle site opens, but there are no graphics and I cannot click on any of the links, including the login.......it returns an error message that the link is not available. 

Must be a lot more settings that I do not recognize.

Thanks,  just not my day.

Bill

In reply to Bill Meador

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, so now that you have address, you need to run replace.php to update the database with the new url.

Go to http://yourmoodlesite.org/admin/tool/replace/index.php  and replace the old address (probably localhost) with the new address.

by Bill Meador -

Ok, will see if I can figure that one out.............assuming I have to do it from the remote system that connects, if not, will see if I can do it from the host system.

Thanks...............

by Bill Meador -

No go again...........just get an error message that the file cannot be found or accesses.

Hanging up on this project for now, deleted all from the system, and hope to have more time to dedicate to figuring it out this summer.
With classes in session, I don't get much time on the machine, and need a simpler short term solution.   Will look to Google Ed for now.

Appreciate yours and everyone elses time and attempts for assistance.

Bill

In reply to Bill Meador

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Bill Meador -

Thanks, and yes the Moodle Community is a great source and has been very helpful in the past.  Unfortunately for me, your Linux suggestion is not feasible.......our school has only one Tech person, I am a graphics and ms office software teacher, and only have Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.6 to work with for operating systems......there are no web or file servers in our district.  I have a 28 iMac Intel Duo lab to work with, and was hoping to get one of these to work for us. 

Maybe after school is out I can try again, but using another operating system is out of the question.  I will though retain your contact information in case I get to give this another go after the school year is over.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Spent 3 years at RAF Lakenheath..........the wife and I loved it!

In reply to Bill Meador

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Bill

If I understand you correctly, your school's computer lab has access to the Web. Just the school authorities do not provide you a web server. That is why, you are thinking of running one inside the school LAN. Right?

The next question: Did you think how your pupils access the LMS from home? Unless the network operators of your school cooperate, you can not make a web server inside the LAN to be accessible from the Internet.

If you plan to invest on learning the Open Source way, here is a chance: "Video Tutorial - Install Moodle on a virtual Box from scratch" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=199542.