Developer meeting April 2015

Developer meeting April 2015

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You are welcome to join the next General developer meeting on Tuesday, 21 April 2015. The meeting will focus on changes in the upcoming Moodle 2.9 release with special attention paid to impact of these changes on community contributors and plugin authors.

Please check the meeting agenda (work in progress) and more details at the meeting page.

Feel free to reply this discussion/thread with questions, comments and suggestions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Developer meeting April 2015

by lior gil -
Picture of Core developers

Will there be any talk about the replacement of YUI?

It's a big issue and I don't expect a full discussion about it, only some lines about the support of several libraries and if there's already some code migration and so on.

In reply to lior gil

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Urs Hunkler will share his experience with the Mustache framework, which is partially related to YUI replacement, too. More info about the RequireJS AMD Javascript loader in 2.9 can be found in MDL-49046.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Urs Hunkler -

David or Damyon, it would be very helpful to have access to Damyon's »Unified AJAX script handler« example he had shown during the developer meeting. Can you please give us a link to the example code? Maybe a link has been published but neither from the meeting page nor on the docs page I find a link.

Best would be to add the example in the docs - the code shown on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/User:Damyon_Wiese/Ajax_Service#Ajax_Service is not enough for an easy understanding how to implement the »AJAX script handler«.

Thanks a lot.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Damyon Wiese -
Yes I can (next week). I am updating the dev docs for output/renderers over the next week or so and that will have all the info there too.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Urs Hunkler -

Damyon, I have read the output/renderers/templates documentation. It is a nice introduction into the topic but lacks depth. The code you demonstrated at the developer meeting was a working example which would help me more to proceed. So it would be very helpful if you may find the time to give us a link to the code you had presented with.

Thanks a lot for your great work and for your support.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Urs Hunkler -

Ping.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Damyon Wiese -
Hi Urs - I'm not sure where that code is - but some more working examples are:

A) the Template Library tool in core uses all those things.
B) in-progress work on learning plans: MDL-49458
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Urs Hunkler -

Thanks for your answer Damyon.

The »Template Library tool« in the admin tools looks great. I tried to load a »cleanm« template from the list and got a »filenotfound« error. When I look at  »admin/tool/templatelibrary/classes/api.php« I see the comment »// Skip theme dirs - we only want the original plugin/core template.« on line 122.

So the error is not »filenotfound« but »I don't want to load that template I had listed above« or something similar wink

Why do you think it is a good idea to exclude the templates in the theme? I guess the page layout templates will always be saved in a theme and will therefore always be excluded from the tool. And if templates may be excluded they should be excluded in the template list and not produce a load error, shouldn't they?

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Damyon Wiese -
That sounds like a bug - please create an issue for it. I have mostly been thinking of themes overriding core/plugin templates and not adding it's own new templates - but of course that is valid and should work.
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Damyon Wiese -
That comment about skipping the theme dirs - was because we want to support loading the documentation comment from the existing core template - but the overridden theme version should display as the example. We shouldn't be required to always duplicate the comments when overriding a template.