Heads up, Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI

Re: Heads up, Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

iPhone, iPad, and other tablets and mobile devices have not supported plugins for some years.

More and more web users are using tablets and phones to access web sites.

Therefore, there was already a strong drive to make your sites work without plugins.

Fundamentally, this changes nothing (I think). Just slightly increases the pressure to do something you should have been doing already.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, is it safe to assume that Moodle is unaffected by this? What about the Moodle plugins? How would I know, without testing every single plugin we use, individually, in Chrome? All I want to hear is, "Don't worry. Be happy."

In reply to Blair F.

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Blair,

Don't worry, be happy.  As per the "more information" link in the first post of this thread, Chrome 45 released in September last year with absolutely no NPAPI support.  If you haven't had any complaints of missing functionality in Chrome since then, you're probably not using any Moodle plugins which rely on NPAPI browser plugins.

For the record, Moodle itself does not rely on any NPAPI plugins - but some third-party plugins may.  The most likely NPAPI plugins to be used by Moodle plugins are probably Java and Silverlight - if you do have any Moodle plugins which use either of those, they'll have stopped working in Chrome unless they have fallbacks in place.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)