Anyone using TeamSpeak in education?

Anyone using TeamSpeak in education?

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

TeamSpeak is widely used in the gaming community as a non-intrusive way of doing multiple-channel audio communications. Many FPS gamers (Insurgency, ARMA3, Counterstrike, Simulation games) use TeamSpeak for team communications over the net during gameplay. Just wondering if there was a way TeamSpeak could be incorporated into the learning or mentoring process and how TS could be used with Moodle. In fact this way brought up back in 2004 on the Moodle.org forums here and here.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Anyone using TeamSpeak in education?

by Frankie Kam -

Hi. 

I am exploring the use of voice-casting software in Moodle, specifically TeamSpeak, is because many f the Digital Native users of Moodle are teenagers with experience in Gaming and TeamSpeak. So it's just another way to engage the digital native on their own turf, so to speak.

If anyone is interested, you can try out TeamSpeak3 at my newly created free 7-Day Trial TeamSpeak3 Server

I went here to get my free 7-day-trial TeamSpeak 3 Server.

Name: InstantTeamspeak.com Trial

Address: ts126.teamspeak3.com:7266

Number of slots: 10

You will need to download the TeamSpeak client from http://www.teamspeak.com

Here's what the connection window looks like. Note the Server Address which is my free 7-day trial server address.

TS3

After you successfully connect, you will see:

TSB3

As you can see, I'm lonely, Mr. Lonely. The only user in the channel - for now.

Lastly, it is better to set your TS client to Push-To-Talk (with a hotkey like F10). 

ts4

and

TS5

That way, your microphone will only activate when you push-and-hold-down F10 to talk.

So now you have your very own 'CB radio' voicecasting software for your PC, which is TeamSpeak! Then you are good to go!

regards
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by dawn alderson -

Frankie-you are not lonely-let us clear that up now eh 

smile

right-spoon feed it, as to what and how-and I will....do the late 70s-80s style CB hanger play...am laughing sorry-it does sound fun!

But can I have it in point form please: it makes more sense to me that way...and would I be running it through moodle-and what version?

oh honest!  The things we do eh!

In reply to dawn alderson

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Dawn

There is no TeamSpeak addon for Moodle. Well none that I know of, but there is one for Joomla. This means that you need to install the TeamSpeak client on your computer separately. The push-to-talk button and voice communication can only work if you fire up TeamSpeak program from the Start button (Windows) or from a shortcut. 

WHat I have managed to do is to display the status of my TeamSpeak server in my Moodle coursepage. Like so:

TS-In-Moodle

The first time your Moodle page loads, the TeamSpeak server status shows exactly who is online on TeamSpeak at that moment. However, the area does not update in real-time. Only when you refresh your Moodle page. 

So how can this be useful for you as a teacher or facilitator? 

Well, if by chance, a majority of your class students are teenagers who play First-Person-Perspective online multiplayer games like:
Word of Warcraft (WOW)
Insurgency
ArmA3 (Armed Assualt 3)
CounterStrike
Call Of Duty
Battlefield series

...then you can impress them by setting up a TeamSpeak server (either you rent one, make one yourself, or setup a free trial server) and by engaging them online by chatting with them. They will think that you are one mean hip dude or dudess! Seriously. Of course, the Moodle page's TeamSpeak status section will just show who is logged into your TeamSpeak server. The communication takes place entirely over the TeamSpeak client. It would be nice to voice-communicate with the students directly inside the Moodle page, but that won't happpen yet until and unless a developer develops a TeamSpeak mod for Moodle. That is for future research and development.

Regards
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by dawn alderson -

so, like an xbox headset? yes?

by Frankie Kam -

I've not used one (Xbox headset) before, but any headset with built-in microphone and ear-muff-speakers will do when it comes to using TeamSpeak.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by dawn alderson -

Frankie-gaming-headset-xbox live

I think you might be fibbing there-playing with me.....had you down as a massive gamer!

mmmmm.......

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Dawn

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't own an Xbox. LOL.

BTW, here's an antidote to gamer children not coming for the family breakfast/lunch/dinner malady (epidemic!?). Work for housewives with kids.