Grader Report and User Report show different totals

Grader Report and User Report show different totals

by Jim Angel -
Number of replies: 3

Hey,

I am working with an instructor on his grade book and currently we are using sum of grades on all aggregation types. The Grader Report will correctly add all totals, but the User Report is about double it. If I mess with checking / unchecking aggregate using non-empty grades I can alter the user report, but nothing ends up with the correct value.

This is Moodle 2.6, and the grade book looks like this (all course GB settings are set to default):

In reply to Jim Angel

Re: Grader Report and User Report show different totals

by Doug Baleshta -

Hi, my first response, having worked with hundreds of instructors using the gradebook, it not to use Sum of Grades unless the instructor fully understands the math behind it.  Everything needs to synch with the course outline, so I always ask to see this first before I even start helping someone.  I have found in many cases, that the instructors don't fully understand how weightings work, or how to properly aggregate grade items within a category.  You might want to post their course outline to see how they are assessing the course materials as I believe the aggregation being used in this case is not correct?

D.

In reply to Jim Angel

by Kristin Isler -

Jim,

When an the category aggregation method is set to Sum of Grades and any item in the category is hidden, it calculates it as mean of grades instead.  Here is the forum post where this was discussed: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=214563

In the Reflection Journals section, you have one item that is hidden.  In the gradebook settings there is a section for the User Report where you can change the settings for "Hide Totals if they contain hidden items".  Change this to "show totals including hidden items" and the user report should show the correct total.

In reply to Jim Angel

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A difference between user report and grader report normally indicates that your settings are different for the two reports.  Check the settings for Hidden Grades and make sure that they match for each report. 

I recommend using Simple Weighted Mean of Grades (actually acts pretty much like total points but turns it to a percentage).  Uncheck the aggregrate using subcategories with this aggregation as it has a strange behavior.