Moodle very very slow locks up..!!

Moodle very very slow locks up..!!

by mike coutanche -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to this forum but we have been running moodle for some time here at weymouth college. Recently we did an upgrade to i think version 1.5 ready for when the students came back.

All seemed ok until the students returned then all of a sudden you can access some times but most the time the page times out.

Users connected are only about 40ish and the server is very low on usage.

I have tried turning off persistent connections in the config.php file and also php.ini but have had no luck. I read somewhere there may be an issue with a certain file and ie 6 but why would it work sometimes then not others???

Can help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mike coutanche

Re: Moodle very very slow locks up..!!

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
OK, let's start guessing smile
When it is slow, look at moodle/admin/cron.php. Do you see your backup status is "running" while you expect it should be finished already (eg started on sunday and is still running on tuesday)?
In that case, upgrade to a new version of 1.5.2+, later then 1 september.

Just my two cents.
In reply to mike coutanche

Similar problem

by Jon Kovaciny -

We just started using Moodle this semester and are having some performance issues.  We have 800 people registered in Moodle.  Our site becomes unusable during class time when just 20 students login to the same course at the same time.  It takes 30 to 45 seconds for the page to appear.  We are running the Moodle 1.5.3 software on P4 1.4Ghz machine with 512MB ram running Windows 2000 SP4, Apache 1.3.27, PHP 4.3.3, MySQL 4.0.15.  The connection between the teaching lab and the server is 100Mbps Ethernet going through 3 switches so there should be no problems with network speed.  The server and the lab are on different VLANs but there is no firewall.

Would it help to move MySQL to a different machine?  We were doing enrollments from a database but reverted to flat file but that didnt help the speed issue.

In reply to Jon Kovaciny

Re: Similar problem

by Brent Lee -
Hi Jon,

I had a similar problem with our installations. I corrected the speed issue by changing to a persistant connection, Installing Zend, and increasing the ram from 1GB to 5GB. We now are running with 2500 people and no delays.

Cheers,

Brent
In reply to Brent Lee

by Meena Palanichamy -

Hi Brent,

How you did the persistant connection.Because we are also having the same problem.

If you explain it it will be helpful for me.

By

Meena

In reply to Meena Palanichamy

by Elvedin Trnjanin -
In your Moodle's config.php, look for the line

$CFG->dbpersist = false;

set that to

$CFG->dbpersist = true;