Migrating from Canvas

Migrating from Canvas

by Kimberly Solis -
Number of replies: 11

I have been trying to find information on how to convert a Canvas course to Moodle.  Someone please help me.  We used Canvas for 15 courses and I really don't want to have to redo them now that we are using moodle.  There has to be some way to convert or import the courses, isn't there?  Please help me!

Thanks! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kimberly Solis

Re: Migrating from Canvas

by john Simpson -

I found this, can you reverse the instructions? How to import canvas into moodle.

http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/78277-how-do-i-import-content-from-moodle-into-canvas

It looks like moodle needs this one sorted, because search is flooded moodle to canvas, and no canvas to moodle

https://www.google.ru/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=courses+from+canvas+to+moodle+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=58giVbq1Js3GsAGkhYHoDw#channel=fs&q=canvas+courses+to+moodle

In reply to john Simpson

by Kimberly Solis -

Thanks so much for writing.  You are right, there seems to be a bunch of stuff that talks about going from Moodle to Canvas, but surely there has to be some way to do the opposite.  I have tried exporting the Canvas course and then importing it into Moodle, but it comes in completely empty with only the name of the course.

I don't think there is a way to do the migration process from Moodle to Canvas backward, since they are two completely different platforms with different processes. 

If I can't get this solved, I will either have to recreate the entire courses (which requires hours and hours of work) or I will have to continue to use Canvas and not use Moodle, which I hate to do.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Leigh Dragoon -

Has anyone discovered a solution to this?  I'm looking at the possibility of perhaps having to recreate five or six rather large Canvas courses in Moodle and it would be wonderful if there were some Import plugin/option available.

In reply to Leigh Dragoon

by Kimberly Solis -

While I have not solved the problem of needing to import an entire course, I have found a way to import the quizzes and tests.  For me, this was the most important thing as I dreaded having to retype all of those questions and answers.

I am posting the link to the plugin and info...

http://www.moodlenews.com/2014/import-canvas-xml-question-exports-to-moodle-with-this-qtype-plugin/

Good luck!  I am still holding out for an easy way to import the entire course content, but it is looking like that is only a dream. smile

by Leigh Dragoon -

Thank you so much for your reply, Kimberly, this will be a HUGE help!

by Paul Tannahill -
The only reliable LMS course conversion utilities I have found have been limited to courses built as what some of us refer to as a "file dump," primarily consisting of Word, PowerPoint, PDF, etc. files, and not much if any true LMS functionality. In other words, just collections of native files for instructors to deliver as links to their students to download, aka a file repository.
In reply to Paul Tannahill

by Bill Ritchie -

I am curious to know if there have been any developments regarding converting from Canvas to Moodle. Thanks to anyone that might have an update on this!

In reply to Bill Ritchie

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Because of the differences between Canvas and Moodle, and the flexibility that each system provides, I think you will be better off having instructors build their moodle courses from scratch.  Sorry about this.  One might be able to transfer some of the question banks between the two.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bill Ritchie -

Thanks Rick. Yes, I had great success migrating from Moodle to Canvas, with only minor edits. Was hopeful to find a simple way to do the reverse, so that I could bring my course edits from Canvas activities back to Moodle and save some time.

In reply to Bill Ritchie

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know of any reverse (Canvas to Moodle) methods.

When I took courses from Moodle to Canvas, they looked pretty good.  But then I had to sort out what did and didn't work, and where I would really want things to be.  As I recall, Canvas put everything into modules, which was fine by me.  But some faculty might want them to go elsewhere.  Also, I was not sure where all of my test banks ended up.  But quite honestly, it wasn't too bad.

My Canvas administrator told me that in the summer experiment of about 8 faculty using Canvas, that every faculty set up Canvas differently!

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bill Ritchie -

Thanks Rick. I will keep researching this and post anything I find or test.