Ongoing score displays 0 out of 0 points earned

Ongoing score displays 0 out of 0 points earned

by Yogesh Nahar -
Number of replies: 4

Hello Moodlers,

I have a test lesson setup to figure out why the ongoing score displays 'you have earned 0 out of 0 points thus far' for the students. 

The setup: The test lesson has 3 content pages followed by 2 question pages (1 MCQ and 1 essay). The MCQ is 1 point and the essay is 5 points. 

Custom scoring is 'ON'. Progress bar is on. Lesson menu is on. Re-takes allowed is set to '3'. Practice lesson is set to 'NO'. Allow student review set to 'YES'. Screenshot of settings attached.

The flow: When a student starts a lesson the no. of attempts is displayed and below that the line 'you have earned 0 out of 0 points thus far'. This changes to 'you have earned 1 out of 1 points' when the 1st MCQ question page is answered. This again changes to 'you have earned 1 out of 6 points' when the essay question is submitted not displayed. Then the final 'End of Lesson' grades earned message is displayed. This is no issue. 

I am trying to figure out why isn't the score being tracked from the 1st content page? Shouldn't the first content page say 'You have earned 0 out of 6 points thus far'? 

System environment: 

Moodle 2.1.2
MySQL 5.5.34.32.0
PHP 5.3.29
VPS Hosting

I have attached all screenshots of the flow. Any Moodler with any clue about this please advise. Thank you.

--
Yogesh Nahar

Attachment lesson start page screenshot.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yogesh Nahar

Re: Ongoing score displays 0 out of 0 points earned

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Yogesh,

I think this is not a bug and is in fact the expected behaviour and I will try to explain why.

Contrary to quiz that has a linear structure it is possible to construct lessons with branchs either with questions jumps and/or with content pages jumps.

Given that different students can have a different set of questions displayed during their lesson attempts.

So it is not possible to calculate a total at the beginning of the lesson because the total that the student will be able to earn will depend on the student "path" in the lesson.

So the message "You have earned x out of y points thus far" is to be understood as : he has earned x points out of a maximum of y points that he could have earned following the path he has followed in the lesson.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Yogesh Nahar -

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thank you for the clarification. I understand now. 

The students were a little confused and so was I, but it's clear now. 

Yogesh

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Yogesh Nahar -

I also wanted to point out that we have chosen to not display the ongoing score in the lesson settings. So with this setting, the line 'you have earned 0 out of 0 points' is not seen on the content pages any more. This is good. 

But when you get to the question pages, MCQ and essay, the line shows up with the right amount of points. Ex: You have earned 0 out of 1 point (1 point for the MCQ). 

It works for us and we aren't complaining, but just wondering shouldn't the ongoing score have been completely hidden?

Thanks.

Yogesh 

In reply to Yogesh Nahar

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

I tried to reproduce your problem in Moodle latest version and I can't.

If I set "Display ongoing score" to "No" there is no ongoing score displayed on question (or content) pages. The only score displayed is on the lesson last page: Congratulations - end of lesson reached Your score is 2 (out of 2).
Your current grade is 100.0 out of 100

So either I am missing something or the problem has been corrected since Moodle 2.1.2. By the way this is a very old and no more supported release (not even for security fixes) so you should upgrade ASAP.