error during intall

error during intall

by Ivan Hart -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you may offer. I am trying to install Moodle on a remote Startlogic server that uses vDeck 4 as its control panel. I get the error below. On the remote server MySql 5.5 is being used. I am trying to install 2.8.5+. Again, thanks for your time.

Ivan 

Error: Database connection failed

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /hermes/bosoraweb052/b2876/sl.hartgrou/public_html/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 79

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivan Hart

Re: error during intall

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That line shows:

$conn = new mysqli($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass, '', $dbport, $dbsocket); // Connect without db

So the error just trying to connect to the DB server.

Check the form filled out for the DB details ... localhost?   means DB server is on the same server as Moodle code.  And localhost will use the mysqli driver and attempt to use socket connect.

Database details that could produce an error: DB user and that users password and DB name for Moodle.

You say ... "On the remote server MySql 5.5 is being used" is that where the moodle code is located or is it another server dedicated to DB?

And not sure how many folks in these forums use "remote Startlogic server that uses vDeck 4", but I'll venture a guess ... not many.   So you might have to share a little more info *if* the error persist.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ivan Hart -

Ken,

Thanks for the response. I am on the phone with my server provider to clarify a few things. In the meantime, when you mean DB are your referring to the moodle data directory that I have in my domain root (and have identified in the "data directory" path during installation) or the database I created in "MySql" and have identified in the "database name" under database settings during installation? If it is the later, then I am not sure if it is on the same server (and therefore localhost?) or a different server. That is what I hope to find out from my provider today. 

In terms of DB name, username, and password, I have entered these several times. I have even tried fresh installs and they all end up with the same error.  

So I just got off the phone with Startlogic. I have changed the Database Host to: hartgrou.startlogicmysql.com (from localhost). 

Now I get this error (which may  be progress?): 

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): The server requested authentication method unknown to the client [mysql_old_password] in /hermes/bosoraweb052/b2876/sl.hartgrou/public_html/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 79 Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/2054): The server requested authentication method unknown to the client in /hermes/bosoraweb052/b2876/sl.hartgrou/public_html/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 79

I am googling this and there is an "old password" parameter? 

Thanks for the help,

Ivan

In reply to Ivan Hart

by Ivan Hart -

Doing some research led me to query MySql and determine that my passwords are set to be 16 bit. If I am understanding correctly, that is an older way of doing things, and perhaps Moodle is looking for 41(?) bit passwords. My plan is to change (or disable) this parameter in the "my.cnf" file of mysql. However, because of my hosting plan, I do not have access to that file. I had to submit a support ticket. Am I on the right track?

Ivan

In reply to Ivan Hart

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Think you are on right track ... see:

http://forumsarchive.laravel.io/viewtopic.php?id=8667

for possible solution.

What might make me shy about doing this work-around right now ... what of other moodle functionality?   So let's say the 'work around' does work ... what else lurks?  Normal moodle users will not have the option when logging onto Moodle.  Haven't gotten Moodle installed just yet ... sooooooo .... uhhhh ... might consider another provider if the one you are currently using won't keep their back-ended DB servers at certain version levels.   But that's my 2 cents.   Anyone else care to contribute?

Best of luck.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ivan Hart -

Thanks again, Ken

I am paid up for the next two years so I don't want to change right now. Startlogic gets mixed reviews online, but I have had them for years and they have been rock solid for me. Support has emailed me to let me know that the engineers are working on it. I will update one way or the other. 

Ivan