Workshop submission scores include "0" grades from students that don't complete assessment phase

Workshop submission scores include "0" grades from students that don't complete assessment phase

by Bryan Dunne -
Number of replies: 1

I am having an issue with the way submission scores are calculated. The Workshop module is including scores from those who did not do the assessment phase as "0" rather than ignoring them. This is severely lowering the scores of some students.

Here is an example. The student received "16/16" from the three students who actually assessed her submission, but two of the students assigned to assess her work did not complete the assessment phase. The system counts those as "0" and gives the student a submission score 9.6/16. I would expect her to get 16/16. The students that did not complete the peer grading should be ignored.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Screenshot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryan Dunne

Re: Workshop submission scores include "0" grades from students that don't complete assessment phase

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bryan. Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you provide more details on what grading strategy was used in this workshop? It sounds weird to me. When students do not provide the assessment - meaning that they did not attempt to assess it at all - the screenshot should show the received grade like "- (-)" - that is null, no grade. In which case, such assessment would be ignored. If the "0.0" is there, it means that students actually did assess the submission. But I agree that leaving the assessment form untouched should not lead to zero grade received. If that is what happens, then we have an usability bug here. To fix this situation for now, you can either

• remove those allocated assessments (via the manual allocation tool)
  • or set the weight of such assessments to 0 which effectively ignores them then.