I AM TERRIFIED : MOODLE IS VERY SLOW !

Re: I AM TERRIFIED : MOODLE IS VERY SLOW !

by Michael Milette -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Another thing that I discovered made big difference in performance is the bind-address setting in my.ini.

You can improve XAMPP and Moodle performance dramatically by disabling IPv6 by changing the setting to:

bind-address="127.0.0.1"

Save the change and restart your XAMPP services.

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Michael Milette

In reply to Michael Milette

by Neil Clayton -

Hi Michael.

It seems I am having similar issues however, the my.ini file does not include the bind setting. I have tried adding it in the [mysqld] section however, SQL simply wont start after. I am running Moodle 3.2.3+, PHP version 7.09, Apache 2.4.23 and SQL 5.5.43 on a Windows 2012R2 box.

All Help appreciated.

Neil

In reply to Neil Clayton

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Neil, Apache server doesn't performs well on windows, either do Linux/Apache combo or Windows/IIS, both combo works as good, I have a tutorial up for setting up Moodle on Windows server using IIS, if you want to use that let me know I'll link you to it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Neil Clayton -

Usman, definitely agree that there are some stability issues with Apache server on Moodle. Please can you send us the link to the tutorial you have made.  We may have to make the jump to IIS.   

In reply to Neil Clayton

by Usman Asar -

Sure, you can have a look at tutorial HERE. There are two videos (manual PHP setup and using PHP Manager), I'll recommend using PHPManager method, its easier and more manageable. You dont have to turn ON OpCache in first instance, just set it up and see if performance is better than Apache, later on start turning on other performance modules/extensions like  OpCache and if your server manages to get high load, then WinCache as well.

Server performance is always a combo of hardware and software, do try reading through the rest of the post, as I have as well mentioned ideal setup of hard drives to get maximum performance.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Neil Clayton -

Thanks Usman. Excellent video and forum. I will be following the steps shortly.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Marcel Matschke -

Funny that i used your tutorial to set up our Moodle on Windows without knowing it. Stunning tutorial.

But i had to tweak our server alot to perform right.

At first i think setup OPCache is a "must have" on Windows server. Even a few GB Ram are enough to push the performance.

And a big big slowdown at windows server are IPV6. disabeling IPV6 in the network configuaration pushed the performance from 1,5- 4 sec load time down to 0.2 - 0.3 sec.

Also a low memchache and Mysql cache push it all. 

best regards

In reply to Marcel Matschke

by Usman Asar -

Marcel, glad it helped you (that was the purpose of the tutorial), have you as well tried using WinCache?  as it has been recently updated for PHP 7, so in terms of static page loading OpCache works well, when server comes under load its there when WinCache shines.

and regarding use of OpCache, by the time I created that tutorial OpCache wasn't taken as much seriously as it should be despite moodle recommending it and as well PHP developers tweaking it specifically for moodle, now MOST of the shared hosting are as  well turning their OpCache on for multitude of reasons.

Thanks for adding to IPV6 issue, not that I have experienced any, but then I am not using it in a production environment yet (soon to be) for me to revise tutorial will all sorts of tweaks possible.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Marcel Matschke -

Your welcome. =) 
I didnt tried WinCache by the time. We just got a little moodle. Just about 150 Users. We mainly use it as forum and Wiki for our Staff. So the most stuff are documents and data. The amount of Quizzes are very low. I dont know if WinCache would be a high profit at all.

I Think the IPV6 issue is based on the hoster itself. But as rootserver and not sharedhost, it isnt that big problem. But the issue was hard to find. In that Case it is the IIS who can have that problem with IPV6 and not moodle.

But im happy at all to have it all run very smoothly all at one machine. 

I hope the Global search will get some more features. 

Maybe in future tutorials you can add the Global search too. ;) i found it a bit tricky to set it up correctly on a windows, cos there are several ways how you can get it working. ^_^

Average of ratings: Useful (1)