Which Apache Version Should I Use?

Which Apache Version Should I Use?

by Calvin Bu -
Number of replies: 3

Hello All,

What Apache version is needed for Moodle v2.7 & v2.8? 

I did the Google thing but I could not find any useful information. Will Moodle v2.7 & v2.8 run find with Apache v2.2? Or They run better with Apache v2.4?

Thanks,

Cal

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Calvin Bu

Re: Which Apache Version Should I Use?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Calvin,

Web Server's task is to serve web pages, other than that nothing as such that would effect application's (moodle) performance, where new features coming into application server technology and database technology does effect Moodle, web server will not have that much impact, so whether 2.2 or 2.4, Moodle will perform same, whatever version you can get, go with it

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Calvin Bu -

USman,

Thank you for your response. My RedHat 6.6 is currently using Apache v2.2.15. Per your information, I will stay with v2.2 instead of trying to upgrade it to v2.4.

Cal 

In reply to Calvin Bu

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you are on RedHat, then sticking with version 2.2 is absolutely fine, as 2.4 is developed keeping in mind Windows operating systems, and as per users who have actually upgraded to 2.4 on either platform have reported some modules broken and required re-compiling, so rather putting oneself in trouble of fixing things than expecting just a simple upgrade that would take care of things automatically along the way, doesn't seems to work at all.

Though not to mention, Apache is claiming performance improvement and lower memory usage on 2.4 over 2.2 but as mentioned before, you MAY not see noticeable improvement over 2.2 when upgrading web server, but I have experienced drastic memory improvement when using Zend Opcache in PHP, eventually turning out that Application server technology does impacts the performance more than the serving platform.