Users from external database

Users from external database

by Raphael Goldman -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I have a moodle28 instance on my server.

I want to user external database from another server. (Server B)

I defined the mysql conenction in the external database connection settings and the connection works.

Now I want to loggin users with the username and passwords from  server B,

What should I defined in order to do this?

Does moodle keep a copy of those users?

Does it has an impact on performance?

Thanks,

Raphael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Raphael Goldman

תשובה ל: Users from external database

by Raphael Goldman -

Hi,

It worked,

Thanks

תשובה ל: Users from external database

by Raphael Goldman -

I have some questions please

Can I pull/register many users at once from a remote server?

For instance, I have the idnumber of some students and I want to register them to moodle according to their details in a remote server.

Can I also enroll them to a course and make groups as soon as I register the user?

Is it possible to enroll users to a course from a remote server?

Thanks!

Re: תשובה ל: Users from external database

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Look at the external database enrolment plugin.  As for groups, I have a plugin which is not in the plugin database yet but is available here:  https://github.com/markward/local_autogroup

It allows you to set it up at the course level and automatically group students by certain fields.  There are only a few fields available right now but it might achieve what you want.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: תשובה ל: Users from external database

by sirisha g@ -

Hello all, Looks like I have a problem related to this discussion.  I am actually trying to retrieve data from external database which is from same server. I made changes in the ManageAuthentication -> External database correctly but it is still not showing error. I have explained my problem in this page: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=310902 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Sirisha g@

In reply to sirisha g@

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Users from external database

by Raphael Goldman -

Hi,

I didn't find any example or documantation about enrolling users from a remote server to moodle courses.

I am able to logging from a remote server using the external database.

Now I need to enroll users to course with specific role, 

I will need to enroll users to the system and to the course automaticlly and not wait for user logging, Is it possible?

Thanks