How to upload files for individual student access

How to upload files for individual student access

โดย shiva k -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all

I hv pdf reports generated from a software  for an offline activity. The generated reports to be accessed by individual students. Is there any way to upload these files and their scores to moodle? I could not use assignment as students don't submit any files through moodle.

Please someone direct me.

Thanks. 

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย: -
In reply to shiva k

Re: How to upload files for individual student access

โดย Steven Swanson -

At the bottom of all the activities, don't you have a "resource" or "file" activity. This is just a file that you put on your front page. Like a syllabus.

In reply to Steven Swanson

โดย shiva k -
THanks. 

I know that ! But my problem is not all files can be accessed by everyone. Individual files for individual students

In reply to shiva k

โดย Przemek Kaszubski -
รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของTesters

The fastest workaround I use is an Assignment. Enable "Feedback" files (and online comment as well if yopu want that too), adjust the grading option, disable all submissions from students, provide a good instruction and you're good to go in five minutes.

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย:Useful (3)
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

โดย shiva k -

Wow thanks

I knew there should be a workaround

could u plz tell me how will I bulk upload? What naming should I use...could u plz bit elaborate 

thank u so so much

In reply to shiva k

โดย John Provasnik -

As far as I'm aware, all you can do is download student submissions, and then upload them back in bulk to the assignment feedback files area. I don't know that you can bulk upload feedback files when there are no initial student submissions to download.

If someone knows a way to do this, this was be such a neat feature : )

In reply to John Provasnik

โดย shiva k -

You are right.

I just made  one sample submission n after learning the name structure, I did for rest of the students  and made uploads. But unfortunately all uploads goes to only one student who submitted not to all!!

This is very simple requirement struggling for long time..

someone plz help me...

In reply to shiva k

โดย Itamar Tzadok -

If you can use addon plugins and you have sufficiently recent moodle version (2.6 or higher, preferably 2.8), you can get what you are looking for with the Dataform module. Here is a quick description of the activity set up for this purpose:

1. (Install the Dataform)
  2. Add a Dataform instance in the course.
    1. In the activity settings, set Separate participants to Yes.
  3. Go to the fields index.
    1. Add a file field with the name "Feedback" (or any other name that works for you).
  4. Go to the views index.
    1. Add an aligned view with the name "List" (or any other name that works for you).
      1. In the View template remove everything but ##entries##
      2. In the entry template remove the patterns EAC:edit and EAC:delete.
      3. Uncheck all the submission buttons.
      4. (All this will make the view read only for students).
    2. Add an aligned view with the name "Manage List".
      1. Set it's visibility to disabled (so that students won't have access to this view).
      2. In the entry template replace the pattern EAU:name with EAU:edit.
    3. Set the "List" view as default view.

Now you can enter the activity, go to the Manage List view and add entries on behalf of your students. The entry form will allow you to select a student (from the list of enrolled students in the course) and drag&drop a file. Once saved this entry will available only to the selected student (and instructors).

If you want to bulk add entries, you can replace in the view template of the Manage List view, the pattern ##addnewentry## with ##addnewentries##. The latter will display a dropdown of numbers and selecting a number will open in the new entry form the selected number of entries and you can fill in the student names and files and save all.

Or if you're feeling comfortable you can add a csv view and import entries for all students. Currently, you cannot also import files via the csv view (forthcoming), but after you added the entries you can go to the Manage List view and bulk edit entries and drag&drop the feedback files.

hth smile

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย:Useful (5)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

โดย Przemek Kaszubski -

Must play with that Dataform plugin one day myself, Itamar, thanks for the instructions.

Yes, indeed, with Assignment, if there are NO original submissions from students, even if only the briefest online text ones, it will be impossible to use bulk upload of the feedback files, as you need the prefix composed of the student's exact name in the system plus the number of their submission (which are added automatically when bulk-downloading submissions) sad  You can only grade and add feedback files one by one..

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย:Useful (1)

โดย shiva k -

thank you so much Itamar

certainly it helped.

I did exactly u explained and works like a charm.

hats off to you for such timely help. You saved me from my students who were waiting for crucial reports.

My only problem is i have 100+ students so doing manually or using csv views still takes lots of time. so I am struck here.

but still your solution is a good start to releive me....

thanks again have a nice day

โดย Robert Maynord -

I am trying to set up Dataform using the above instructions. It looks perfect for my needs. The idea is to place our school's individual .pdf report cards on Moodle so that each student can log in and view their own, without seeing other student's cards. The above instructions did not work for me, so I tried the simplified version found here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=264314   Basically, the simple set up I did  seems OK, but when I add a new entry I do not get an input box.  I see the column header that says "textarea", but there is no input box.  I have attached an image for reference.  I assume this contributes to my problem getting the more elaborate instructions above to work.

Something is preventing the text input box from appearing, but so far I haven't figured out what.  Do you have any suggestions that might help?

Thanks!

Attachment dataform.png