Moodle 2.5.1: Backup Course "Internal Server" occures

Moodle 2.5.1: Backup Course "Internal Server" occures

by Learn Student -
Number of replies: 4

Hi moodle experts,

I would like to backup a moodle course but after 2 min a "Internal Server Error" occures. In detail it says

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I used the search tool for this forum already in order to answer this question by myself but I couldn't find any suitable solution. I tried to customize my php.ini but sadly this doesn't work. At the moment my php.ini file looks like that:

cgi.fix_pathinfo = 0
post_max_size = 256M
upload_max_filesize = 512M
max_execution_time = 300000
max_input_time=300000
no-store
no-cache
must-revalidate
post-check=0
pre-check=0
mysql.connect_timeout=300000
default_socket_timeout=300000

I look forward to any reply and help. Many thanks for that!

Tobi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Learn Student

Re: Moodle 2.5.1: Backup Course "Internal Server" occures

by Learn Student -

Nobody can help me?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Turn debugging on to developer level in the moodle admin settings.  Try again and then post the output here.  

Also, does this happen from every course or just one specific course? 

At what point in the backup does it occur - tell exactly step by step what happens when...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Learn Student -

Ok, I try to describe the problme more precise. If I try to backup a course via

course / backup / (checkbox: activities, blocks and filters)

the mentioned error occures. I double checked that the error only show up for courses which includes many files and activities.

In debug mode it says

error/cannot_finish_ui_if_not_setting_ui

Thanks for any help!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
That helps.  Sometimes larger courses are hard to back up.  You might try raising the time out limit in your mysql config file - that might help. (Probably called my.cnf depending on your setup)  Or, if 2.5 has the experimental new backup format, try turning that on (can't remember when that was introduced).  Backup performance has improved a lot with later releases - an upgrade might help.
If all else fails, you might try backing the course up in halves or quarters.  A pain, I know, but sometimes necessary.

When I have seen that error before, it is sometimes accompanied by more detailed info as well.  Questions are often responsible for backup issues and the details will sometimes point you to the specific questions that are causing the issue.