Is a database within a database possible?

Is a database within a database possible?

by jo green -
Number of replies: 3

Hi - I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a database activity so that students placed in groups can post Questions and Responses, but to have Questions marked separately from Responses?

Could the Responses Database be set up to be embedded within the Questions Database?

Could all entries be sorted and graded separately by Questions and Responses?

I'm not too familiar with the database tool or if there is a specific technical name for what I'd like to do.

Any illumination would be appreciated- thanks! (including if you tell me this is too complicated...)

cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jo green

Re: Is a database within a database possible?

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Jo,

Just set up a Separate Group Forum, student can get grades by posts (Questions) and replies(Responses)

In reply to William Lu

by jo green -

Thanks for the quick reply - but how would there be a separate grade category assigned for Questions and separate grade category assigned to Responses if there was only one Forum activity?

In reply to jo green

by Itamar Tzadok -

Only if supported by the activity module. But standard modules do not support that, and it's not trivial to implement.

What if the activity shows the break down of the different grading categories in the activity, but sends to the gradebook one overall grade for the whole assignment (submissions and reviews)?

For example, a participant receives 12/15 for the submission and 4/5 for a review of another submission. The participant can see in the activity something like:

Evaluation
=========
Submission: 12/15
Review: 4/5

And assuming the overall is a simple sum, the participant will see in the gradebook 16/20.

smile