Elegance theme - status?

Elegance theme - status?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is anybody in a position to comment on the status of the Elegance theme? 

There is no advertised 2.8 version and Danny doesn't seem to have committed anything to Github (https://github.com/thedannywahl/moodle-theme_elegance) for over 6 months. 

I have a few sites using this theme and am getting concerned that it's 'dead' sad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Elegance theme - status?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Howard,

Moodle theme's like Bootstrapbase, Clean and More don't change from version to version, so why worry that there is not 2.8 version of Elegance if the one you have now works it will work in 2.8 and 2.9. 

My advice is that if your version of elegance is working OK then stick with it, and stop worrying.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK - I should have been clearer (sorry).

There are some reported bugs (that affect me) that have been there for some time and don't seem to be getting looked at. I am about to upgrade a big site to 2.8 and now is the time to change themes if that's what is required. We have to do a spot of theme customisation anyway. 

So, the question really is, would you start a new project with Elegance?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have a few sites using Elegance, with at least a couple on 2.8.  What bugs are you having issue with?  (On a side note, I am also a little concerned about progress - last I heard from Danny he was thinking that Elegance needed a total rewrite - perhaps it is just too big of a task for him right now - I know we all try and juggle too many things.)

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Howard Miller -

There's a few on the open list affecting us. If it was an absolute disaster I would fix it myself but it just becomes another hassle then. As you say, never enough hours in the day. 

by Danny Wahl -

Hi Howard,

You're correct I haven't updated Elegance in a while, the main reason is that the bugs that are affecting it are not 2.7/2.8/2.9 specific but things like "login is not a renderer" MDL-40160

As such a lot of the features that people like in Elegance are not possible to be fixed (easily).  I'm kind of waiting for 2.9 to come out and looking at doing a rewrite using the new templates and automatic class loading - but there will still be unresolv(ed|able) issues...

That said, We are using 2.8 with Elegance as an option and haven't had any show-stopper bugs.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Howard Miller -

Hi Danny,

I definitely don't want to sound critical after your hard work on this but if you'd gone off to live on a commune in Bali or something I'd be worried about Elegance's future smile

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Julian Ridden -

I do still lurk around here...sometimes ;)

Danny, I am very greatful of the work you have done with Elegance to date. Unlike Essential, Elegance was really more of a passion project of mine and other users should realise there is a lot of bad code in there that "just worked" at the time and my aim was to get round to fixing later.

Now knowing that someone else has taken that on is a little shame inducing. Its like allowing someone to see behind the facade of a glorious clock to see that behind the scenes was just a hamster on a treadmill poking a one armed sloth. Effective but not really the right way to do it.

I mention this to hopefully earn Danny a reprieve. His comments are sound and the need is there. I for one am just grateful he has offered to do it at all.

Your humble sloth trainer

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Does Canvas allow that???  Lol!  Danny has done a great job though I still feel the need to reincorporate your "bad code" cos its results are just so pretty! 

Thanks for the inspiration at Moodle Moot, Julian - I have spent all year trying to learn this "theming" stuff!!  Pretty cool!