Upload privileges

Upload privileges

by Jel Coward -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all

Firstly, apols for being needy!

Moodle 2.6.8 (Build: 20150202)

Wrestling with this problem a bit....had thought I had found a solution but still no cigar (which is a good thing because smoking is bad for us smile

I have some folks who have the student role in a course.

I want to allow them to upload to a particular folder.

I don't want all students in that course to be able to upload to that folder.

I thought I had found a solution by creating the Folder, and then using  Locally Assigned Roles from Admin  - and giving the Teacher role (has upload privileges in the course) to the folks who I want to be able to upload to that folder.

But when I log in as one of those folks I cannot edit/add files to, that folder.  

I have pasted the Locally Assigned Roles page below.

My brain is starting to hurt....foolishly I was sure this would work.....can anyone help please?

Thanks for any help smile

jel

Assign roles in Folder: Evaluations

Please choose a role to assign

Role Description Users with role Teacher Teachers can do anything within a course, including changing the activities and grading students. 4 Person1
Person2
Person3
Person4
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jel Coward

Re: Upload privileges

by Jel Coward -

....a bit more exploring on this....

Even if I don't use Locally Assigned Roles and give the 2 users I want to have privs to upload the 'teacher' role (fails to achieve, as per previous post), and instead give the 'student' role permission to 'Manage files in folders'.....still a _student_ role in the course cannot edit the folder/contents.

I notice that for me, as a teacher/manager/admin - I get the 'turn on editing button' - but someone given 'teacher' role in the folder, or someone with the 'student' role (which has been given permission to'Manage files in folders' - does not get the 'turn editing on button'

Can anyone help me understand how to make this work please?  smile   Or point me to a resource that might explain it (gmoodgling (can I claim that verb for googling around moodle? wink   around hasn't helped so far smile 

Cheers all

jel

In reply to Jel Coward

Re: Upload privileges

by Jel Coward -

Hi all

(I posted this in the Roles/Permissions forum, but thought I should cross post here because I originally asked my question here)

(Posting again in case what I learned (which might just be 'look harder'!) helps someone else.)

Now it works....perhaps I missed it before because I has tried the following (which clearly does work smile

Using 'Locally assigned roles'

Assign the Teacher role to the students I want to have permissions to upload to the particular folder.

When the student then opens that folder, there is an Edit link _at the bottom_ of the page and they have upload abilities.

[The only thing different, which I doubt changed this (as mentioned I probably just missed that it worked) is that I gave those particular students Teacher role in another course, and then took it away, just to test......part of me wonders, just a little bit, if giving the Teacher role elsewhere and then removing it, somehow allowed them to have an effective Locally Assigned Role of Teacher....I doubt it, but added here in case is a bug-ette that helps someone else).

Time for me to be quiet for a while now, I think smile

Cheers all

jel