No notifications on iOS

No notifications on iOS

by Chris Lipscombe -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle Mobile app Users that connect to my Moodle site using an iOS device are not getting any push notifications. They have configured their messaging settings to be notified when someone sends them a Message, and the device shows the messages, but it does not notify the user when it arrives.

Android users are not having this issue. Notifications are shown when they receive messages.

Are any others having this issue with iOS? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Lipscombe

Re: No notifications on iOS

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

first question, are you using a customized version of the app or just the official one?

I restarted the notifications server yesterday because it was having problems, have you started receiving notifications again?

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Chris Lipscombe -

Hi Juan,

Thanks for replying.

We are using the standard version straight from the app store. 

Our test platform is iOS 8.2, and it's not receiving notifications as of 2pm EST. We are trying a re-install to see if that makes any difference.

We also tested it with a number of end users around 6pm EST yesterday and none of those people received notifications either. I'm not sure what versions of iOS they were running. 

Thanks again,

Chris

In reply to Chris Lipscombe

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello Chris,

I've been during the complete day during some maintenance of the Airnotifier server, I noticed problems with the iOs Push Notification certificates so I created new ones and notifications seems to be working for iOs right now.

We will also migrating to a new infrastructure during this week.

Cheers, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Chris Lipscombe -

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the update.

I've tested it on one device and it appears to be working again. I'm having a few more users try it to make sure.

Thanks, Chris

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Hittesh Ahuja -

Hi Juan,

I've taken the source code from the mobile app and created my own moodle mobile app using cordova / phonegap. I've installed the plugins manually and have the notifications working for Android using the default airnotifier settings from messages.moodle.net. I see that this then links to the config.json's gcm number that enables me to receive local notifications on my android device. How do I achieve the same thing on my ios device. What / where are the ios credentials ( APN details) for me to do the same without installing my own Airnotifier server. I have enrolled myself on the Apples Developer program . 

Thanks

Hittesh

In reply to Hittesh Ahuja

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

unfortunately for APNS you need to install your own Airnotifier server because it uses some certificates linked to the app name.

Regards, Juan