Essential user menu not behaving itself

Essential user menu not behaving itself

by David Bennett -
Number of replies: 17

Hi all,

Despite my best attempts in defining student roles, the options for viewing forum posts and discussions are visible from the user menu (and shouldn't be) whereas the options for editing password and profile are not available (and should be).

I can see in the core_renderer file that it reads the 'mod/forum:viewdiscussion' capability which I have checked and double checked is set correctly for students. But the menu doesn't seem to believe that and is doing it's own thing.

Is this a known issue? Am I missing something fundamental? Is there a workaround other than fudging the core_renderer file?

thanks in advance

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Bennett

Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

You did not say which version of Moodle you are using or the version of Essential, not that it would make that much difference, but it might.

Thanks Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by David Bennett -

Of course.

Moodle is 2.7.4 and Essential is 2.7.9.4.3

Thanks

David 

Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

The code in Essential is a port of the code in the BCU theme.  Looking at it there appears to be missing functionality to use capability values as a discriminator for adding items to the menu.  Both themes have this missing functionality.  I have no time to work on Essential (unpaid development time) to make improvements to the code.  V2.7.9.4.3 was the last version for M2.7 and therefore any future improvement would go into the M2.8 or later version depending on when implemented.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by David Bennett -

I understand.

Thanks for your answer and your very much appreciated efforts with this theme.

Kind regards

David

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Mike Grant -

Hi David,

Seeing as Gareth is saying that it's code from the BCU theme causing this issue, could you screenshot the menu you're referring too? I thought you were talking about the user menu in the top right from your first post. But that menu isn't copied from the BCU theme.

Thanks

In reply to Mike Grant

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Stranger than fiction!  Where is the menu from then?

In reply to Mike Grant

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mike,

Please see attached screen shot of the menu referred to.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Attachment 2015-04-01 16_25_50-Course_ Topics.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Humm... but then again, it could be the attached.  So... I looked at the BCU code port to Essential and there is no capability checking.  I'll have to double check the Essential one.

Attachment 2015-04-01 16_30_38-Course_ Topics.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by David Bennett -

Hi all and thanks for your engagement on this issue.

(i've got two menu issues at the moment, in separate threads. This one about essential's user menu that Gareth posted the screen shot about (23:33 yesterday) and another about BCUs language menu which has disappeared)

I rechecked all the permissions for all user types and found that I had previously missed making "authorised user on front page" the same as student. Since I was only checking from the front page, and not from within a course, then I was using that role. So to cut a long story short, it was my bad since I had missed the correct setting. It works now as it should.

Sorry if I caused you all a load of extra work.

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi David,

Thank you for replying.  Is this: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=310781#p1245337 still an issue?

Kind regards,

Gareth

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by David Bennett -

Hi Gareth,

No. The forum posts and discussions links disappear from the user menu on the start page as expected when the authorised user on first page role settings are correctly set.

The problem was that I was expecting the student role settings to influence the menu shown on the start page. I'm feeling a bit silly about that.

regards

David

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Robin Leung -

Hello,

How hard (or easy) is it to get the user menu and this course menu to work in another theme?

I'm currently using a modfication of this theme: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/theme_evolved

Thanks.

In reply to Robin Leung

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Robin,

If you are experienced = easy to moderately easy.  If you are a beginner = hard to impossible.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Robin Leung -

I wouldn't say I'm a beginner not am I experienced. Probably in the middle.

Are there documentations anywhere? Or do you have any pointers...

Thanks Gareth.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Essential user menu not behaving itself

by Raffaele Di Meo -
Hi All,

I am trying to edit the user menu in the essential theme and even though I have modified roles and added CSS customisation I am not being that lucky and clever in managing to accomplish what I want.

I would like to delete the My grades and add the My Dashboard link... any suggestions on how to do it? This is how it looks now and what I have done in the admin panels.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Raff