Authentication setup questions

Authentication setup questions

by Phil Lau -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I am setting up a Moodle 2.8.5 server on a Red Hat 6.6 server at my school. I am using CAS (SSO) as the authentication method, which seems to be working correctly. 

After looking through the documentation, it appears (as far as I can tell) that LDAP is needed for data mapping. However, LDAP is an authentication method that my school is moving away from soon, so is there an alternative way to retrieve information for data mapping through CAS?

Thanks,

Phil

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Lau

Re: Authentication setup questions

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know much about CAS but (seeing as nobody has answered) I expect not. I would suggest that LDAP is still something of an industry standard for identity management which is why it is so prevalent. What are you moving to?

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Authentication setup questions

by Phil Lau -

Hi Howard,

Thanks for responding. I was working on the problem for quite awhile, but finally concluded that there wasn't a way to retrieve the information I needed through CAS. Had to ask and make sure!

The reason for going with CAS is the single sign-on authentication. My school is part of a larger district and we are in the process of moving to a single sign-on authentication so both school and district resources are accessible in the same session. Moodle is part of that process too, so need to be able to get CAS working. 

From what I understand, I can use CAS for authentication and the LDAP for user data mapping. This is what I will go with. Hopefully that process will go smoothly. If not, you will see me here again!

Phil