All I want is a simple front end to make a series of quizzes available to my team....

All I want is a simple front end to make a series of quizzes available to my team....

от Simon Curtis -
Количество ответов: 15

Hi, this is a bit of a noob question, I am using Moodle  1.9.10 (ipage sets the limit)

I want to create and manage a series of simple quizzes for my team and need a simple, easy to navigate front end to allow them to log-in and start a quiz with as few clicks as possible. 

Can anyone point me to the setup I need to put in place?

(Apologies for the new thread, searching for the solution in the forum felt like a meedle in the haystack)

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

В ответ на Simon Curtis

Re: All I want is a simple front end to make a series of quizzes available to my team....

от Marcus Green -
Изображение пользователя Core developers Изображение пользователя Particularly helpful Moodlers Изображение пользователя Plugin developers Изображение пользователя Testers

The Moodle quiz engine is designed to be powerful and flexible and so presents many options and so it is not trivial to learn. It is not hugely complex either, but you won't learn it in half an hour, but you can learn the essentials in a few hours. 

The other problem is that Moodle 1.9.10 is 5 years old, and so is out of support. This means that security issues are no longer being fixed by HQ and new developments are not being added.  With reference to your question this means you will not be getting the improvements to the Quiz interface that have been added to the 2.X series. A nice example of what you will miss is the ability to re-order questions using Ajax Drag and Drop technology. I don't know what iPage is by the way.

You might look at some of the SCORM editing packages if your quiz requirements are modest and brute simplicity is the number 1 priority. However over many years of playing with SCORM tools I have have found them all lovely to start with followed by a world of pain and disappointment.

В ответ на Marcus Green

Re: All I want is a simple front end to make a series of quizzes available to my team....

от Simon Curtis -

Hi Marcus,

thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.  I am using a hosting platform (ipage) which restricts me to this version. (I am already using them for my website) . the Moodle system is adequate for my needs, but is a bit convoluted when it comes to presentation, hence my question....

Simon.

В ответ на Simon Curtis

Это сообщение на форуме было удалено

Содержание этого сообщения на форуме было удалено и больше недоступно.
В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Rick Jerz -
Изображение пользователя Particularly helpful Moodlers Изображение пользователя Testers

I am wondering if your situation (simple and easy, small team, and you know moodle a little) might be a situation where buying a hosted server and using a one-click moodle install might be best for you, at this point in time.

For around $5US/month, there are many companies that provide the ability to run the latest version of Moodle.  For example, I have an experimental version of Moodle running on a GoDaddy hosted server for under $5/month.

Depending upon your knowledge, on many of these hosted servers you can choose to install Moodle with a "one-click" easy install, or install Moodle manually from scratch.  I prefer from scratch, but the one-click method is quick, yet often less flexible.

These hosted server systems are known to be somewhat variable in how fast Moodle works, but for a small moodle, they should be fine.

В ответ на Rick Jerz

от Simon Curtis -

Hi Rick,

i really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question. I am already using iPage to host my website, so it seemed sensible to use the same supplier to host my moodle instance, only later did i realise the restriction on the version. 

I have created three quizzes, but getting them presented in an easy to access method is proving difficult. 

В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Rick Jerz -
Изображение пользователя Particularly helpful Moodlers Изображение пользователя Testers

Might you be able to provide us a screen shot of what you have so that we can see what you call "difficult?"  Or have you not created anything yet and are searching here for simple approaches?

In Moodle, one simple approach, for example, is to have three links (one for each quiz) at the very top of your moodle course.

Some hosting companies (I don't know about iPage) will provide a rebate for unused months.  Or some folks might consider their previous costs as "sunk costs."  So at some point in time, if having the latest version of moodle becomes a factor, consider changing companies.  One thing that I really like about the current Moodle is that it is designed as "responsive," meaning that it adapts to people who might want to view your course on their tablet or cell phone.

В ответ на Rick Jerz

от Simon Curtis -
В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Rick Jerz -

Thanks.  I would make one course, and upon entering this course, the student would see it as the graphic shows below.  This was done in Moodle 1.9.  I including some block that I think you might want in your courses, for illustration purposes.

For True/False, Multiple Choice questions, Moodle can't be beat!

After a student logs into your moodle, in two clicks they are doing a quiz (on click on the course, the second one on the quiz.)

Приложение Simple Moodle.jpg
В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Robert Brenstein -
Well, Moodle 1.9 can do the job even if newer versions are better and currently supported. I'd suggest to check whether you can upgrade it to 1.9.16 or 1.9.17 which fix some issues, though.

In terms of producing and administering quizzes, you have at least 3 different modules, Simon, that you can use in Moodle 1.9: feedback, quiz, and questionnaire. Each has its pros and cons and varying sophistication. You can of course mix and match them to your needs.

In terms of a simplifying the user navigation, you can eliminate one click by displaying the login page right away (normally, the front page is shown and users need to click to login, unless you insert the sign-in block, which is fine but users need to orient themselves on the page to see it). You can further activate the MyMoodle option, so instead of the normal front page for logged-in users, all they see is their course. This saves no clicks but reduces the interface to minimum.
В ответ на Robert Brenstein

от Simon Curtis -

Hi Robert,

thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Can you give me some clues around the 'MyMoodle' option?

В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Robert Brenstein -
https://docs.moodle.org/19/en/My_Moodle

As I said, this option replaces the normal front page with a more minimalistic version. This applies after login. Your quizzes still have to be in a course.

Depending on the logic of the overall activity flow and content/relation of the individual quizzes, you can set up your course using different course formats. I am guessing that the topic format would be most applicable in your case. You decide (thru settings) how many topic sections you want to show. This defines the visual layout of the course page. In other words, you need to decide whether each quiz is presented in each own section, whether they are all listed in one section, or grouped within a few sections.

The actual appearance is controlled by the theme. Standard Moodle install has several themes included and you can further customize them to your needs or install additional theme (just make sure that you fetch one that is made for Moodle 1.9).
В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Ray Morris -

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what the question is.  If the users all need to take several quizzes, I would:

Create a course in Moodle.

Set it to allow self-registration and / or guest access.

Add the quizzes.

If each user will only do one or two quizzes, I might make separate courses and set each as a "single activity" format course, so each course consists of nothing but one quiz.

As was mentioned, there have been tens of thousands of improvements since Moodle 1.9.  I can't imagine launching anything new and choosing to use a version that old.  I understand that your ipage's $2 hosting account doesn't have a newer version installed. It might be that your needs would be better met by spending $10 for "real" hosting from a business web host like Amerinoc or whoever.

В ответ на Ray Morris

от Rick Jerz -

Some of our discussion with Simon raises the issue of whether or not Simon has not found the quiz question types, or the style of a moodle quiz, not meeting his needs.  I always tend to think about true/false, multiple choice, etc. types of questions.  But maybe Simon's needs are different.  Simon, your thoughts?

В ответ на Rick Jerz

от Simon Curtis -

Wow, i am struggling to keep up with the amazing number of suggestions! улыбаюсь Much appreciated....

The 'My Moodle' option gets me closer to the look of the interface i want for my team. (Thanks Robert)

Now I think I need to create a course to home my quizzes. However, can anyone tell me how I managed to create three quizzes in the 'Main Menu' area?

Is there some trick I need to know to get them into a course?

To answer your question Rick, i am mostly using True/False & Multiple choice questions.

В ответ на Simon Curtis

от Simon Curtis -

I just want to thank those good enough to provide help & suggestions with my problem.

The result of all you advice is a solution which very much gives me what I wanted - thanks...

Simon