Invalid CSV file (Upload a new course)

Invalid CSV file (Upload a new course)

by Nancy Sanchez -
Number of replies: 6

Dear Support( My Moodle version is 2.6):

I am have a problem with upload a course that I have backup in my desktop, every time when I try to uploaded is the following message : Invalid to open CSV file. 

Your support is very valuable for me as beginner.

Invalid CVS file

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy Sanchez

Re: Invalid CSV file (Upload a new course)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The upload course area is not for restoring a backup file.  That is for creating courses with a csv file.  If you want to restore a backup, go the front page of your site and select restore from the admin menu.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Nancy Sanchez -

Dear Emma, Thank you very much! I already resolved this issue, and everything is working good

Thanks all!

Nancy S.

In reply to Nancy Sanchez

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Backup file should be .mbz not .csv and shouldn't get as far as analysing the columns before telling you its an invalid file type.

Is the file actually a Moodle backup or is it a csv file (list) of courses and their details for the upload course tool itself?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh that's interesting Richard - you just made me go and see what happens when you upload a file that isn't a CSV file. I just uploaded a random png image file instead, first thing I found, and I got the message "there is something wrong with the format of the CSV file - number of columns  not constant". I think this is misleading if you have mistakenly uploaded a file like an .mbz. I wonder if we should change that wording to clarify? (I will go and change the "More information about this error" in the meantime...