Essential Theme v. Google Analytics.

Essential Theme v. Google Analytics.

by Matthew Koelling -
Number of replies: 6

I have a question for those with more experience using the Essential Theme.

If I add Google Analytics code to the header section for users who want to use a different theme will this mess up the Essential Theme and the enabled Analytics that comes with it?

Should I perhaps just disable the Analytics in Essential and do everything through the added code section of the header.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Koelling

Re: Essential Theme v. Google Analytics.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I cannot say I know that much about Google Analytics as I don't use them, but what I cannot understand is why disable something which is useful in Essential, only to add extra code in the header to add the same code just becasue others may want to use a different theme? This last bit does not make sense.  Can you explain what makes you think this is a good idea anyway?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Matthew Koelling -

Fair Question.

We allow people to change the theme but we still want to get analytics regardless of the theme they use. Unfortunately I am unable to make the campus I work at stick to one theme due to concerns of academic freedom.

In reply to Matthew Koelling

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

OK in that case disable the Google Analytic in Essential and if you have Admin status for your site you can add the Analytic code you need into Additional HTML.

As administrator you can add additional HTML to every page in Administration  > Site administration > Appearance > Additional HTML.

These settings allow you to specify HTML that you want added to every page without altering the Moodle code files. You can add HTML within the HEAD tag for the page, immediately after the BODY tag has been opened, or immediately before the body tag is closed.

Doing this allows you add custom headers or footers on every page, or add support for services like Google Analytics very easily and independent of your chosen theme.

This way it will be site wide and available to all no matter what the theme.

Kind of best of both worlds. smile

Or was this what you intended to do...and I was too dumb to see that! LOL

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Scott Karren -

Matthew,

You might also try the Analytics plugin, it works regardless of the theme you or your users have chosen.  https://moodle.org/plugins/view/local_analytics

HTH

Scott

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Matthew Koelling -

Thank you Mary. That is what I meant, sorry I should have been clearer!